Chapter 11

Hazel

He called. My father finally called. After what felt like 10 years- but had actually been around 3-4 days- he finally called. It somewhat stung though. I had expected Dmitriy to be the first one to call or text me but I had still gotten nothing from him.

I mean Dmitriy was always a dry texter. For God's sake he still used the laughing emoji that's in tears. But, part of me was still expecting to hear from him.

I was expecting at least one "How are you?" texts and another twenty texts giving me different strategies on how to get rid of Ares if he ever did something to hurt me.

Instead I got a call from my father.

I suppose the conversation started off normal. He asked me how I was and how I was doing. He asked me if I had eaten today. The conversation was going well.

Too well.

My Father was a convincing man. He had almost convinced me that he genuinely cared about my day or wether or not I had eaten. Almost.

But he slipped up. My Father had mentioned the fact that I went to meet Ares's family. He asked me how it had gone.

But I never told him that I had met Ares family.

Which told me he wanted something. I sighed into the phone. I should've known.

"What do you want father?"

He remained silent for a minute. Which couldn't be a good sign.

"I want you to try and kill him."

Oh.

"I...can't do that."

"And why not?"

"Because it'd be attempted murder."

He went silent again for another minute.

"Are you really going to pass up the opportunity?"

I didn't know exactly what my father was referring to. But, I knew I had to be careful because my father had a way of manipulating people.

Sometimes even without them noticing. I would know. I saw him manipulate people on multiple different occasions.

"The opportunity? To do what? Murder him?" I scoffed.

"Yes. Think about it. Had he never said yes to that proposal you'd still be living with your mother and I safe and sound. You'd probably be going to a nice college too."

I knew what he was doing. But, it wasn't going to work on me this time.

"If you had never made the proposal in the first place none of this would've happened."

"Well I could've just as easily offered your hand in marriage to someone else. I did. Remember? I offered you to Luca first. But, Ares swooped in."

Apparently that's how it went. My father had offered the marriage proposal to Luca but before he could say anything Ares said he wanted me to be his wife.

My father knew it was for revenge that much was obvious. So he used that fact to get some sort of "upper hand" on Ares.

"And if you don't believe me just think back to the times you and Ares have spoken. I know you've both have had to have interacted at-least once."

"You're telling me he hasn't called you his as if you were just something he could buy and sell? You're telling me he hasn't threatened to have control over you? Hmm?"