Chapter 15

Hazel

It's been two weeks since the gala and     everything had been hectically peaceful. Meaning that on the outside everything seemed fine but on the inside everything was chaotic.

After Ares dragged me out of the gala we hadn't interacted very much. Thank God for that because it gave me some time to think.

I needed this time to think because there were  a lot of things that had been said at the gala. And they weren't exactly the easiest pieces of information to process.

The first one being that my father was using me.

Of course I knew he was using me, it wasn't a secret to anyone. But, I didn't expect him to use me too this extent. My father had mapped out this plan as if it were a give and take situation.

We both give and we both take. But clearly that wasn't the case. I was giving more than I was taking and somehow I didn't see it earlier.

My father was refusing to tell me anything unless he needed me involved- like when he wanted me to almost kill Ares- but besides that I was in the dark.

I didn't like that. I didn't like not knowing what he would do next. Another thing I didn't like was that he was forbidding Dmitriy from speaking to me. Not just that he was also holding something that was emotionally and maybe even physically valuable above his head.

His girlfriend, Ava. Ava seemed to be a super sweet girl, but unfortunately I wasn't very close to her. Since I had never met her. Dmitriy always kept their relationship private and under wraps probably out of fear that this exact same thing would happen.

His words from that night really stuck with me, and made me see the situation in a new perspective.

"Because he knows I care too much about her. I see her as my strength. But, Father and everyone else see her as my weakness. It's not a secret Hazel."

I couldn't imagine how Ava felt in these situations. She probably wanted to be able to express her love and affection but couldn't. And it probably would've taken a while to understand why.

And knowing Dmitriy he was probably always protective and making sure she wasn't spending too much time with anyone that could possibly hurt her. And while I rarely ever saw them being affectionate whenever they were he would take pride in it.

So, it definitely sucked for both of them. And it was even worse now that our own father was threatening Ava.

It probably sucked for anyone who was involved in the mafia and had a pretty big position of power. And even though Ares always made fun of the fact Alexis had never had a relationship before, I could understand where she was coming from.

Is this also why Ares hasn't had any previous lovers?

Wait what. Who cares?

Another realization that happened that night. Somehow. Somewhere. In some universe. My thoughts always circles back to Ares. Even if it had nothing to do with him.

And it was annoying me badly. I hated him. I had this vivid image of him in a casket with a bunch of knife slits around his throat and a stab wound in the dead center of his heart.