Chapter 21 - The memory of the past

It takes approximately 10 minutes for the whole school to know that Sebastian Sallow is dating the new fifth year. And as much as Riley loves spending time with Sebastian in front of other people, there is not much time to be spent. The detention is taking its toll, and Riley feels a bit bad. If she did not interfere, nothing like this would have happened.

"If you did not interfere, they would curse each other and who knows what Black would do with them. It is not your fault, so stop it!" Erin is losing her patience with Riley, who cannot help but blame herself.

"Why was I so stupid?" Riley sighs on Friday afternoon when they are leaving the last class.

"Why were they so childish? Was all that macho stuff really necessary?" Erin replies and drags Riley towards the Library for their homework session.

When they enter the Library, Riley notices Ominis is there, on his own. She gives Erin a look and Erin rolls her eyes but nods.

"Hello Ominis, can we join you?" Riley asks and does not wait for an answer and sits opposite him, getting her books out.

"A welcomed change from brooding and annoyed Sebastian" Ominis replies and Erin giggles. Getting Herbology essay out, Riley looks around. There are quite a few people here, probably because of the heavy rain outside.

"Is he that bad?" Erin asks and Ominis nods, letting out a sigh.

"Someone keeps placing stinksaps all around the classroom so he and Leander Prewett keep cleaning the same spots over and over again. And Sharp seems not to even care. And if it is not moaning about the unfairness of life, it is brooding over accidentally testing his new jinx on Riley. I've tried to avoid him, but even I feel bad about him sitting in the chair and staring out of the window" Ominis quietly laughs and Riley feels a bit bad again. She knows exactly who is making his life more difficult. Maybe she can get those spider fangs and talk to Garreth to give them a bit of a break.

"Well deserved if you ask me," Erin says in a low voice and starts writing her essay. Ominis nods and continues with his homework, and Riley stares at the Chomping Cabbage on the page considering her options. What if she got hold of some Cabbages and let them deal with spiders? That way she can get fangs easily without fighting them. From what Professor Garlick told her, and from what she's read, those Chomping Cabbages are brutal.

Finishing all her homework quite quickly, especially providing the fact she's missed few classes, Riley is now helping Ominis to understand why Levioso is an underrated spell, especially used in conjunction with Descendo. Erin leaves them halfway through, as she is done and wants to get some stargazing done as well. The moment she leaves, Ominis leans forward a bit.

"What do you plan to do with that memory?" Ominis asks quietly, and Riley pretending to check something in his essay leans forward as well.

"Need to find a pensieve. I hoped Professor Fig would help, but he's away again" Riley mutters and Ominis nods his head.

"There is only one I know of, and it is in Black's office," He says in a low voice and Riley sighs.

"That's not happening. Not getting expelled because of it. I rather go and fight those stone guardians again than be caught in his office" Riley is finishing her essay and re-reading it, making sure everything is covered.

"I can help with that. But it may be a bit dangerous" Ominis drops his voice and Riley straightens up, listening.

"And if we get caught?" She asks and puts down her essay.

"I will deal with Black," Riley shakes her head. The idea of breaking into Black's office is at the bottom of the list, right below going to Antechamber or storming the Ministry of Magic.