Chapter 36 - Darkness descends

//events differ slightly for story purposes//

When they arrive at Feldcroft, it is very early on Saturday morning. Riley is still half asleep, but Ominis and Sebastian seem wide awake, chatting excitedly. She does not have any connection to Anne, and she is feeling a bit left out. When Anne greets them, it is very obvious to her that Ominis likes her. How can Sebastian not see it?

"Riley, hi! Glad to see you," Anne says and Riley smiles at her and gives her a quick hug.

"Good to see you too, how are you feeling?" She asks, quietly, and Anne gives her a sad smile.

"Still the same. At least it's not getting much worse. Or I cannot tell," Anne says and Sebastian looks at her worriedly.

"That relic will help. I can feel it. And it's somewhere in the catacombs here. We will make you feel better and lift that curse," Sebastian says, but he seems to be the only one under the impression it will work.

"I am worried about it. But if you have Ominis and Riley with you, I am inclined to get my hopes up," Anne says and when Riley looks at Ominis, he is looking at his feet.

After an hour of chatting with Anne, Riley and Sebastian head towards the catacombs with Ominis trailing behind, spending as much time with Anne as possible. Again, how can Sebastian not see it?

"Don't think I've forgotten about your goblin friend. I haven't," Sebastian says to Riley and she takes a deep breath. She is not arguing with him. Not now. Happy when Ominis and Anne catch up to them, Riley tries to change the subject. Why did he mention Lodgok? Is he still being unreasonable about it, or is he actually considering help?

"How can you be so sure it's in there?" Anne asks when they are in front of the entrance.

"I believe one of Slytherin's students stumbled upon the relic during an assignment to study sarcophagi in this catacomb. From what I read in a report by that student, they weren't permitted to take it with them. So I must assume it's still here," Sebastian says and they all fall quiet for a while.

"What makes you think you can take it? And use it?" Ominis asks, and Sebastian sighs in exasperation.

"Ominis, we've been through this. This relic grants its holder the power to reverse Dark Magic curses. This is the answer and the way how to save Anne," Sebastian says and Ominis shakes his head. Anne seems to be doubtful as well.

"It's worth a try. I can go with you, while Ominis and Anne wait here. And if we find it, we can go from there," Riley says and Sebastian gives her a thankful smile.

"Nothing with Salazar Slytherin is..." Ominis starts to say but Riley interrupts him.

"I know! I know. I can handle it," Riley says as she squeezes his shoulder.

"Please be careful," Anne says and Riley nods, while Sebastian is already on his way.

"I will keep an eye on him," Riley says in a low voice, so Sebastian cannot hear her. Ominis still looks worried, but Anne seems more hopeful.

The moment they enter the catacomb, Riley knows this is not the best idea. But it is definitely worth exploring. If that relic really exists, and is here, they may as well study it. And she makes sure Sebastian will not use it recklessly.

Greeted by spiders, Riley lets out a small yell when she gets rid of them and can hear Sebastian laughing behind her.

"Why always spiders? Why? Everywhere!" She yells, but before she moves she picks up their fangs. Maybe Garreth will need them again and he can be in her debt. She may need his help or assistance at some point.