Chapter 52 - The Headmistress

"Erin, what was I thinking? I cannot do that!" Riley says to Erin in the dorm, as Erin keeps laughing.

"I know I shouldn't laugh..." Erin starts and Riley scowls.

"Then why are you!" It is more of a frustration, rather than an angry cry.

"Because you did it again Riley. First History of Magic, now this. Now not only you are tutoring others in the subject you don't like, but you also need to make friends with Cecelia. And all because of him," Erin keeps laughing while Riley is sitting on her bed, pouting.

"What in the Merlin's name was going through my mind! Girl power! BFFs! Let's hang out! Why?! Why did I do that? Why did I just not jinx them both," Riley buries her head into the pillow and lets out another frustrated cry.

"I think I may pee my pants, I can't!" Erin laughs so hard she is clutching her stomach, barely able to breathe.

"What is going on in here?" Riley can hear another voice who enters the dorm room. It is Samantha Dale, their classmate.

"Ri...Ri..." Erin tries to talk but cannot stop laughing, and now she's snorting.

"AAARGH!!!" Riley yells into the pillow as Samantha just shakes her head and grabs her books.

"Amit is looking for you, weirdos, something about the starry sky," Samantha says as she leaves the room, shaking her head.

"Want to invite your bestie to finish her Astronomy homework as well?" Erin snorts and Riley finally looks at her.

"Can you help me throw her from the tower and make it look like an accident?" Riley asks in a serious voice.

"Sure, but I don't think Amit will be on board," Erin tries to catch her breath and she is wiping the tears of laughter from her eyes.

"You know, I really did think for a second I am a despicable genius and that I have a master plan," Riley bellows, which keeps Erin laughing more and more, snorting, almost unable to breathe.

"You...are...killing...me..." Erin says in between the snorts.

"I..." Riley starts as she is rummaging through her bag, but stops abruptly and stares at a beautiful necklace in her hand, the gift from Sebastian.

"Riley?" Erin asks and stops laughing, as Riley is there, half-lying, half-reaching for her bag and staring at a necklace in her hand, eyes filling with tears and her breath suddenly going very shallow.

Without any apparent reason to Erin, Riley bursts into tears. But it is not regular crying. It seems like she is having a breakdown. The weight of the emotions overwhelms her as she's clutching the necklace tightly in her trembling hands.

"We are going through a lot of emotions today," Erin says more to herself as she rushes to Riley, gently placing her hand on Riley's back.

"It's...it's...the neck...necklace...I got...from him...and now...he's with...her..." Riley manages to speak through sobs, her voice strained and fragile.

"He's not with her," Erin says softly, but Riley seems not to be listening.

"This was not...suppo...supposed to end...like this. We had so...many plans...together...and it's...all it's...it's gone...it's...shattered," Riley stammers and there is a mix of heartache and regret in her voice.

"It's not. I'm sure you can work it out. The moment you called him, he came like a little crup pup. He said it meant nothing. He ran to you right away, and he was honest with you. Surely there is a chance to mend it all," Erin says and sits on the bed, making sure Riley is sitting as well, hugging her.