CHAPTER 6

Making Adjustments

Dianna felt as if she was in a trainwreck. She said an emotional goodbye to her friend Paige and encouraged Isaiah to move on. Nothing was left after losing her mother. She hated going with Joy and could not put Paige's family through a court case. Joy had a stronger case and access to her funds. Dianna could not get it all released until she was eighteen. 

She sat in the plane praying and asking God why all of this was happening to her. She wanted to know if he cared about her after losing so much. Her eyes rested upon Joy Renalls who was fast asleep. Dianna thought about running away but she had nothing. Before she made her move she had to ensure this woman did not take everything she had left. 

"Home sweet, home," Joy smiled when they pulled up at her house. Dianna remained quiet taking in all her new surroundings. Joy's home was smaller and not as nice as the home she lived in with her mother. However, Dianna knew any comparison to her mother would have ticked her aunt off. Two beautiful four-year-olds ran to the door Daniel and Daniella who their mother briefly touched. Dianna felt bad for the children and greeted them with warm hugs which they gladly accepted. Joy looked at the embrace pleased with the exchange. 

"I knew you would be a great influence on them," she smiled. "Welcome to your new home Dianna," she said giving her a tour. Dianna was fast learning that her aunt was a control freak who wanted to be praised. "Nice," she mumbled trying to keep her calm and not nasty. "Show your cousin her room," she instructed the twins. Dianna was happy to see the children. They were the only bright spot in the home so far. They took her to her room next to their room. 

Dianna took a nap only to find her cousins snuggled up next to her. She hated they appeared to lack love and drew close to her already. They were adorable. Daniella was a pretty little girl with brown hair and green eyes. Daniel was handsome with green eyes and a lovely smile. Dianna wished her aunt treated them differently. 

"Dianna, Kids, Dinner" Joy shouted jubilantly as she called them to the dining room table. "Daniel, my niece," Joy said introducing her to Daniel, her husband. "Nice to meet you," Dianna nodded. She felt a little off feeling his eyes lingering far too long during the introduction. His stare took Dianna back to the days with her stepfather who began his sick pursuit and obsession with her with lingering stares. 

"The women in your family are certainly beautiful," he said looking at Dianna one more time. Dianna avoided his eyes and concentrated on the children who loved being around her already. 

Dianna prayed in her heart. Lord help me survive this new home.

Showing his true nature

Dianna kept a low profile for the next few weeks. She was learning that this was not a happy home. Her aunt was a paralegal who drank too much and ignored her children. Their father was a pharmacist who spent too many hours on the job prompting Dianna to believe he was having an affair. She could not wait to leave this house. She wished the children did not have to be in such a toxic environment.

Dianna went to school and took care of her cousins daily. This kept her happy for now. In addition, she started applying to colleges, looking into scholarships, and investigating what her mother had left for her. When she went to the kitchen to get a few snacks for the children she came face to face with Daniel. Dianna quickly tried to scurry away from the kitchen but he blocked her. "I'm not going to bite," he laughed trying to get her to lighten up as he moved out of the way. "I must say you are doing a fantastic job with the twins," he said trying to make eye contact. Dianna ignored him, nodded, and proceeded to leave. She flinched as he came closer. "I read about your stepfather and what he did to you," he continued. "He was wrong," Daniel said looking at Dianna from head to toe.

Dianna felt uncomfortable around him and suddenly felt that his words were not genuine. She shoved passed him and went to her room locking the door. The twins fell asleep in her bed like always. Tonight, she was happy to have them so close. 

Dianna did everything to avoid Daniel over the next few months. However, he would show up in odd places taking her by surprise. Dianna needed to find a way to avoid being alone in the house with him. She came up with the perfect solution. There were openings at a small diner. She would apply for a job after running it by Aunt Joy.