CHAPTER 20

Twelve Years Later- Finding Love

Brian Davidson could not keep his eyes from across the room. Her smile and presence were magnetic. He watched Dianna at the table with her friends. She was smiling and laughing. This woman was simply breathtaking. Her long brown hair and dark brown eyes were captivating.

Dianna beamed with pleasure looking at the picture of her goddaughter who was now eleven years old. "She is adorable," Dianna said passing back the photos to Autumn. "It's so good to catch up with all of you," Paige announced. Naomi stated, " We have to meet to celebrate Dianna's birthday because she won't." "Thank you for surprising me for my birthday," Dianna said appreciating her three friends. She loved how they all hit it off and occasionally met to celebrate special events in each other's lives.  "Happy 32nd birthday!" Paige toasted with the other women their glasses of cider. "We love you," Autumn said. "To a long life, health, strength, and finding love," Naomi declared. "What?!" Autumn screamed when she saw Paige's finger. Everyone screamed staring at the engagement ring. "Shh...., before we get escorted out of the restaurant," Dianna warned her friends. They all laughed realizing they were too loud and expressive. "Why didn't you tell us?" Dianna said giving Paige a huge hug. "I would have eventually. This is your day," Paige reminded her. "Let us see it," Naomi said cheerfully. The other women gasped and exhaled after seeing the exquisite diamond-cut engagement ring. 

"It's gorgeous," Autumn basked. "We are so happy for you and Spencer," Dianna said hugging her best friend. "We have an upcoming wedding!" Naomi said enthusiastically. "And what about you Naomi?" Autumn teased. "Yes, Andrew is ready to settle down with you but you are stalling," Dianna explained.

"I am the oldest in the crew. I am rooting for all of you," Naomi said changing the subject. "We will pray for you," Paige smiled. "Speaking about relationships and marriage what is going on with you in the dating department?" Autumn pushed focusing on Dianna. Dianna avoided their eyes. "I am too busy for a relationship," Dianna said. "But are you dating?" Paige asked her directly. 

"I am occasionally," Dianna said with a smile. Paige, Autumn, and Naomi looked at her not convinced enough. They were all concerned that Dianna still had up walls when it came to dating because of her past. "We are praying for you and that special man God has for you," Naomi said squeezing her friend's hand. "Now, let's enjoy ourselves with the last few days we have left on this exotic island," Paige said. She got up and danced and sang Happy Birthday to Dianna as restaurant employees brought out a birthday cake. Dianna blushed as her friends celebrated her with so much excitement.

Brian knew he should not be eavesdropping. However, the beautiful woman had made him sit there in awe unable to leave his seat. He was in Hawaii on business and simply came for dinner when he saw her.

In all the excitement Dianna briefly stared across the room noticing the eyes watching her. Brian nodded and gave her a huge warm smile. The man looked to be in his late thirties, with silky black hair, hazel eyes, and a handsome smile. Dianna quickly shifted her attention back to the party with the girls. Paige happened to notice the exchange. "Someone has an admirer," Paige looked on intrigued at the gentleman across the room. 

Brian did not want to approach her and appear as a stalker. But he wanted her to know he was interested. He called the waitress to deliver more sparkling cider to the ladies. He wrote on a card "Happy Birthday!" Brian included four passes for a two-day spa treatment for the ladies as well. Then he left without a word.

Dianna showed her friends the spa passes as they enjoyed more sparkling cider together. She did appreciate the gesture but she did not know him. After what she went through in her past, she was skeptical of anyone spending money on her without a motive. 

Meeting Brian

Dianna thought about the man who had offered gifts to her and her friends. She was weary of men asking her out and trying to impress her with their money. Her prior experiences always had her cautious of the men she dated or interacted with. Her relationship with God, family, friends, women's support group, and work was important to her. It had been years since she really gave anyone a chance but it was hard to trust and find someone who was genuine.

She walked over to the pool and lay in one of the lounge chairs waiting for her girlfriends. When she looked up the gentleman from last night was next to her. Dianna sat up on the chair trying to quickly get out of meeting him. Brian smiled and immediately tried to make her feel comfortable. He realized if she had noticed him before she probably would have avoided the spot.

"Hello, how are you?" Brian said stretching out his hands for a greeting. Dianna did not want to appear rude. "Hi," she said extending her hands wondering why her friends were taking so long to show up. After Brian shook her hands, he tried to make eye contact. Dianna quickly took her hands away and decided she needed to thank him. "Thank you for last night. The drinks, the spa. It was not necessary but appreciated," Dianna said. Brian felt the walls go up but he was not giving up so easily. 

"You are welcome. It was my pleasure," he smiled. Dianna did not want to get pulled into those beautiful hazel eyes because this man was handsome. "I see you were celebrating your birthday," Brian said still trying to make small talk. Dianna did not want to make it obvious she was not interested in this conversation. "Yes, I was celebrating," Dianna said. "That's lovely, you and your friends appeared to be having such a good time," Brian commented. Dianna nodded annoyed that Paige, Naomi, and Autumn were nowhere in sight. 

"Can I ask you one final question?" Brian asked. Dianna nestled her eyes on his hoping their conversation was coming to an end. Brian took in a deep breath because every time he stared at her he was amazed by her beauty. "What is your name?" he asked softly. Dianna could not help but smile. He was being sweet and nice despite her being distant and unreceptive.

"Dianna," she said warmly. "Brian," he nodded. "Can we do this again?" Brian said. "Dianna, it is so nice to meet you," Brian said stretching out his hands toward her. Dianna did the same. "Brian, it's nice to meet you," she said. "Would you do me the pleasure of going out with me?" He asked fixing his eyes on her. "I ............... " Dianna started to say something. However, her friends showed up drawing her attention away from Brian. 

Brian decided not to push it.  "Everyone, meet Brian," Dianna said as they all looked as if they were interrupting something. The women thanked him for the drinks and spa day he gave the other day. "It was nice meeting you ladies," Brian said keeping his eyes on Dianna. He got up to leave to give them their private time together.

"What was that all about?" Paige said surprised. All eyes focused on Dianna for an explanation. "It was nothing," Dianna said hoping they would not ask for details.