nineteen.

Gossip quickly spread as to why Sebastian had a black eye and busted lip. Everything from a secret faculty fight club to me throwing something at him was being told. It got to the point where Sebastian was questioned by Headmaster Black. He didn't get in trouble, thankfully, because he lied and said he was jumped in London, which seemed plausible.

Morgana wrote to me, apologizing profusely about what had happened. I assumed that Ominis had confronted her after his altercation with Sebastian. I wrote her back to tell her that it was okay, but that I wasn't comfortable doing it again. It felt nice to set boundaries while keeping my friendship.

The rest of November flew by and winter break was right around the corner. Regular homework was replaced with reviews for the semester-end tests. Most of my students seemed to retain what they'd learned pretty well and I spent extra time with those who were struggling. Before I knew it, it was the day of the Yule Ball.

The castle was buzzing with excitement. Students were spending the entire day getting ready in all areas of the castle. The girls had turned the library into a salon of sorts, doing each other's hair and makeup. I walked in to check on them and was ambushed with offers to do my hair and makeup. I laughed it off initially, planning to do my own, but after being asked by a few persistent students and seeing their work, I agreed.

Alice Theodore, a seventh-year Ravenclaw, did my hair while sixth-year Hufflepuff Mary Ellen Bigsby did my makeup. They were both quite talented and did a wonderful job. By the end of it, I had to say I was impressed. The makeup was sultry and dramatic in a tasteful way while my hair was done in big, loose curls and braids. It reminded me of what I'd imagined a Viking warrior Princess might wear her hair.

To their surprise, I have each girl a couple of galleons for their work and encouraged them to continue, as they had a real talent for it. They thanked me and giggled to each other about something. I didn't know what they could be laughing about, but I just shrugged it off.

After leaving the library, I went back to my room to finish getting dressed. I pulled the dress I'd bought off of the hanger and placed it on the bed. Before putting it on, I put on a black corset set and stockings. Once I'd finished attaching my stockings to my garter belt, I slipped into the dress. It was a floor length black velvet gown that had a slit all the way up to my thigh and gold chains that hung over my shoulders where the straps were. I put on a pair of heels and stood in front of the mirror. Seeing my completed reflection, I felt pretty damn good. I was checking myself out, doing different poses in the mirror, when there was a knock on my door. I knew it was Sebastian.

"Prepare yourself," I warned him before opening the door. "I look really fucking good."

"I'm sure you do," he laughed. "Now open the door let me in." I did as he asked and giggled when I saw the look on his face.

"Do you like it," I asked, giving him a twirl.

"Like it? I fucking love it. You look amazing. Let's skip the ball and stay here so I can ravage you," he joked, though I'm sure there was a bit of seriousness in his tone.

"You wish," I laughed. "You look so handsome," I told him, finally taking in the view. He was dressed in well-tailored dress robes and looked very chic. His black eye and lip had healed completely and he had a little bit of stubble on his face. I felt lucky to be with such a good looking man.

"I clean up pretty well," he said with a nonchalant shrug. "Are you ready to head down there," he asked, offering me his arm.

"I'm ready if you are," I told him, taking his arm.

The two of us walked together to the Great Hall and I couldn't hide my surprise at how good it looked. They'd really outdone themselves decorating. There were more candles than normal floating and a starry sky with the Aurora Borealis was enchanted onto the ceiling. Christmas trees were placed all throughout and had beautiful ornaments and tinsel on them, making them glisten. A stage had been placed at the head of the room, where the faculty ate and a band was playing on it. The long house tables had been stored and replaced with a multitude of smaller, round tables. There was much more to look at and a million little details; it was hard to take in all at once.