Chapter Twenty-Seven

*Maeve Miller*

Do you ever wake up and feel like everything is going to go wrong? Lay in bed, look at the ceiling and try to convince yourself that the bad feeling is just that. Reluctantly convince yourself that it must be left over from a dream in order to go through your day.

Maeve was familiar with a feeling, however since she was a witch, it was like playing a game of roulette. Maybe it truly was nothing, or perhaps it's a vision that will come to pass. This morning was no exception. She woke up, looked at the star charts she had painted on her ceiling and knew that there was a bullet in the chamber.

It took ten more minutes than usual to decide that she would not avoid today despite wanting too. She took a week in order to help Thierry, and while Caroline had compelled her an excuse, there was no guarantee that she could catch up.

It then took five more minutes for her to start consuming her coffee as the maker decided to have a meltdown mid-brew. It took three minutes less to actually finish the cup.

How she ended up at school before the late bell rung was beyond Maeve.

She didn't do much during the weekend after homecoming. She worked in her greenhouse, baked sweet treats, and worked on making her house feel like home again.

Nik was in constant contact with her about various things, however, his siblings were not one of those things. Maeve had no clue what had happened to Henrik and Bekah and he was not answering those questions.

Damon was also quieter than usual. He had not spoken to her about what had happened at the dance, and she wasn't sure if it was because of guilt or anger. He had failed, and Damon was a lot of things, temperamental was one of them.

Maeve would be concerned if she wasn't positive that he would come running back when he needed something. Even if it was just as simple as company.

So she did her due diligence, she went to school, even track practice, and she dragged herself to the stupid fundraiser that the council was hiding behind.

She really only showed up for two reasons: To figure out where Henrik and Bekah are, and to have a chat with Stefan

She really only showed up for two reasons: To figure out where Henrik and Bekah are, and to have a chat with Stefan. Maeve had received multiple texts from Nik about the behavior of her friend, and that she needed to fix it or be prepared to re-attach his head to his body.

Maeve had become the baby-sitter of mystic falls, and she was getting tired of it. If this continued, she would be charging and hourly rate.

She walked in, chatted with the Mayor and Sheriff, both of which were overly friendly and kept and eye out for the vampire that had been causing a bit too much trouble.

She eyed a hybrid from across the room. She could usually sense magical creatures, however this one felt different, like he was on the edge of a graveyard. She followed him.

She arrived just in time to see Stefan plunging a knife into the man. "Unbelievable. In the middle of a council meeting." She spoke loudly, and Stefan met her eyes briefly before going for a kill.