Chapter Thirty-Four

*Maeve Miller*

She had gotten good at predicting the future, at least generally. She knew when she was going to have bad day, and she knew that today was one of them. She didn't even need the magic this time. 

Henrik avoided her eye, same with Nik. They had assured her over breakfast that they had figured out her living situation until the spell was ready to be broken, but something felt off. 

Elijah left last night after she had gone to sleep to start tracking their eldest brother, and Kol had went with him. She had called the pair when she woke up and Elijah had cautioned her to be on guard. Something was going on with the family, and it appeared neither of them were in the know. 

Bekah was quiet. In fact, all it took was Maeve waking up, saying 'good morning' and she was fleeing out the door to begin on her task. Maeve took it as a sign to be prepared for anything today. 

"Henrik?" She spoke from her spot on the couch, where she was sandwiched between the two brothers. "Did I do something wrong?" 

"What makes you ask that?" He paused the movie. 

"You both are extremely quiet, and that only happens when you are angry or scared." She tried to catch their eyes to no avail. "Which is it?" 

"Both." Henrik shifted. "Neither. New topic." He insisted. 

"Do you fear death, Maeve?" Nik spoke from beside her. 

"Wow, talk about a subject change." She tilted her head. "Well um." She thought it over. "I don't fear my own death. What is this about?" 

Nik paused. "For the time being, all of us can die. I guess I wanted your thoughts on it." 

"Seeing if the ends justify the means?" She joked only to stop smiling when she noticed how tense he was. 

"What is it you fear then?"

"I don't know. I have a couple." She was getting uncomfortable. 

"General Idea." He pushed. 

"Um, I guess I've got the standard Mikaelson fear of abandonment, in any form." She tripped through her words. "Being unwanted, and clowns." 

"Clowns?" They both looked over.

"Clowns." She nodded solemnly. "I got stuck in a fun house when I was nine, I still have nightmares." 

Henrik started laughing, and Nik was barely containing himself. "Clowns." 

"It's not funny." She shoved him. "Giggles chased me through the halls calling me his little joker. I ended up hiding in a clown car crying for three hours." 

Henrik kept laughing. "Giggles?" 

"Screw off." She pushed him off her couch, and he laid on the ground laughing. "Why are you asking about fears anyway?" 

Nik turned somber again. "You're not the Maeve we grew up with, so I guess I was wondering if something changed." 

"Something changed?" She turned the words over in her mouth. "Nik what's going on?" 

"Nothing." He stood. "I'm going to make you some coffee, then we need to get to the mansion." 

"Nik." She watched him before turning to Henrik who was still on the floor. "I'm calling the twin card." 

"No!" He protested. "Call any other card." 

"No." She insisted. "Twin card has been called. Do I need to be worried by this sudden change in attitude?"