Chapter Two: Coward

I get out of Maruki's Taxi, still completely confused. The others pull up as well, grinning and waving. As they begin to drive off, Futaba pushes herself out of the sunroof, waving and yelling something I can't understand. I try to yell after her, but she's already out of earshot. That was my last chance, and I blew it.

I walk to the train heading for my Hometown, and board it, Morgana popping out of my bag.

"I thought you were gonna talk to her!"

"I WAS! I... was... I couldn't do it. If I confessed to her, and she didn't feel the same anymore... we would never be able to talk as friends again. I can't lose her, Mona. I love her too much."

I sit in my seat, and Morgana steps onto my lap. "Listen. I may just be a cat now, but I'm still your friend, so I know I can say this without you freaking out." He gestures with his paw for me to lean closer. "YOU'RE A COWARD!!!" Mona baps my face with his paw, keeping his claws retracted.

"What?" The train begins to move.

"YOU," Mona baps my chest again, "Are Akira Kurusu! You are Joker! The Leader of the Phantom Thieves! You have faced a god, and WON! You defeated a reality breaking TIME WIZARD, just by getting MAD!! And you're too afraid to confess your feelings to her, even after doing it once already!" He walks off my lap and into my bag. "If I ever got my chance with Lady Ann, I wouldn't hesitate." He curls up and closes his eyes as the train reaches full speed.

I hold my head in my hand, my other hand on my phone, hovering over the send button. "I love you." I delete the message and put my phone away. I can't do it. I lay back, and fall asleep.

*******

When I open my eyes, I'm in the Velvet Room. That doesn't make sense, it disappeared last time... but I'm not dreaming. I sit up and walk out of my cell, and look at the desk, a blue crystal butterfly and a scroll are all that's there. I unroll the scroll and read the note.

"It appears the rehabilitation is not yet complete. Darkness has once again begun to seep into the world, the public cognition once more returning to the state of prison it once inhabited. I do not believe that this world can ever be truly rid of the Metaverse or Mementos.

Thanks to your power as a Trickster, Lavenza and Myself rest within you, as your new Personas. It is the only place we can be without vanishing into oblivion. There is, however, no more threat. If you choose not to act, there will be no ruin, nor shall there be another merging of Mementos. All those who could have done so are now defeated. You may do as you wish. The Velvet Room is now yours.

Good Luck, Trickster.

-Igor

I set down the letter, and smile. Now that he's said it, I can feel Igor's unique power within me. Perhaps Joker can do some good in Hometown now. I sit down at the desk, dip a quill in some ink, and begin to write my own letter, one she would never see. A letter to her, just for me.

I wait for a minute or two, make sure the ink is dry, roll the scroll and seal it

I wait for a minute or two, make sure the ink is dry, roll the scroll and seal it. I stand from the desk, smile softly, and lay back down on the prison bed, returning to reality.

*******

I open my eyes as the train begins to slow, Mona bapping my face.

"Wakeupwakeupwakeupwakeupwakeupwa-" I pick him up and put him in my bag, standing up as the speakers announce:

"Hometown. This is Hometown." I step outside and smile softly. I'm home.