Chapter 10 - Lullaby of sorrow

(Jareth)

I opened my eyes. Damn, I had fallen asleep. I leaned closer to Thelma to check up on her. Her face looked more of colour which was good. One lean in the right direction. She was such a mixture of me and Sarah but not in a bad way. In fact, the exact opposite way. She fluttered her eyelids. I leaned even closer.

I wondered when she was going to wake up, which reminds me of, what is the time. I checked the clock. My goodness, it´s 19:36! I wonder if anyone has brought up food for Sarah. Yeah they probably have, knowing Groodger, he has probably thought of bringing food up to her.

There were times when I just got out of focus and he did things I was going to ask him for. It was like he could read my mind. I whistled and a knock was heard on the door. "Enter!" I shouted. Groodger came in with my dinner. On the plate was meat served with gravy, salad and potatoes. Along with all of this came water. I shooed off Groodger and began eating. I wonder what she is dreaming. I hope she was dreaming a good dream. She deserved it. She flinched I stopped eating and froze. She flinched again. I put my plate aside and rubbed the wet cloth on her head. Her forehead colder but only by 8°c. She was getting better.

(Thelma)

I was in a cage. I was wearing a white dress that was almost ripped to shreds. My hair was wild and my clothes were dirty. I saw creatures from all directions reaching towards me. I punched and kicked in all directions to get them away from me. I saw a bright light. The cage opened and a staircase appeared. I went up the stairs. As son as I got up my clothes changed back to normal and I was back into the "normal" world where no I was not the goblin princess. I was not on the island though. Oh my god! I was in mom´s old house. I was in mom´s old room. I ran out of it so I could inspect the rest of the house thoroughly. I ran into the television room. It had a black cosy couch. The covers of the couch were without doubt made out of cotton. I sat down on the couch. It was very comfortable. There was a small table made out of what seemed like cherry wood. The walls of the room were painted really pale yellow. I decided to explore a little more.

I stood up and saw a door. I walked up to it and opened it, at the other side of that door was the dining room. I walked into the white room. In the middle of the room was a small, whietewood table with matching chairs. In the back of the room were cuboards with crystal glasses and fine dishes and cutlery. I wanted to see one more room. I walked into the last roomwhich was most likely the living room. It was very old fashioned. It was 1900´s themed. There was a creme couch with two matching chairs. Beyond them was a fireplace that was built with black bricks. At the other side of this small room however was a black, grand piano, like the one dad had given me. I sat down and began playing the lullaby dad had sung to me. It was wonderful.I heard dad´s voice singing the lullaby.

Sleep you now, oh child of mine

Sleep you in your manger

Sleep while winter winds will whine

Sleep you safe from danger

Sleep you when the dark ice groans

Frost and fire nearing

Sleep you when the silence moans

Sleep you with no fearing

Sleep you well and sleep you long

For life will leave you weary

Sleep you still and sleep you strong

'Til you no longer hear me

You no longer hear me

I looked behind me to see  dad sitting in a rocking chair holding what seemed like a baby. I walked closer. He di´nt see me. He was putting it to sleep. Mom walked into the room. Dad looked up and smiled to her. "Is Thelma asleep?" she asked. Oh my god! Dad was holding me! But he did´nt raise me. Mom gave me away the moment after she gave birth. Maybe this was a world where mom told Jareth about me. He handed me I mean the baby me over to mom. She put me in the cradle. She gave him a peck on the lips. You could tell by a mile´s distance that they loved each other and that they were proud parents. I wondered if my life would have been better if mom had told dad she was pregnant.

Dad left the room. Mom started crying. I wanted to ask her what was wrong. Then I remembered my crystals. I tried to use their powers but I could´nt. She took me from the cradle and she disappeared. Where did she go?!?