Chapter 36

Belle

I don't remember much after the winter ball. All I do know is Jolene is hurt and she's being abused by her father. I should have never let her leave with them. I should have told her no, or that her mother could come over to stay with us. All of this could have been avoided if it weren't for my foolishness. When I open my eyes I'm back in my room. There's an IV in my arm and the fire is softly roaring. I try to sit up, but I curl up in pain. Because I'm in my underwear I can see all the bruises along my body. My poor Jolene. If this is what my body looks like she must be worse.

With much difficulty I get out my bed and head over to the balcony window. From what I remember there was a blizzard when we returned from the ball. Now it looks like the snow has calmed down, but I still can't see too far. My door opens and Aunt Jamie comes through with a pitcher of blood. My parents follow behind her, and Momma runs over to me.

"Belle! You shouldn't be out of bed. You're too weak to be walking around right now."

"Common sweetheart, come sit down." I wasn't truly paying attention because the smell of the blood lured me in a blood crazed haze. I can feel my fangs coming out and growing to their full length.

"Sit down." Mommy sits next to me as Jamie pours the red liquid into a cup. She hands it to me and I chug it down. After I gulp that down I attack the pitcher and drink all of it down. My parents settle me back down as my body starts to regenerate.

"Good girl. You and Jolene should be feeling a little bit better now." I look up into my mom's light blue eyes and sigh. The reflection in them tells me that they still haven't got her.

"Is--" A pain in my throat stops me from talking. Jamie instantly comes over to me with a little flashlight.

"Open your mouth Belle." I do as she says. She looks down my throat and Momma is over her shoulder.

"What is it Jamie? What's wrong?"

"It's her entire throat. Everything looks like it's constricting, and preventing her from speaking. I'm wondering how? She showed no type of strangulation that night and after it. You don't think there's something wrong with Jolene too."

"Mate. . . Mate sep-" Both of my parent's eyes widened when they heard what BB sputtered out.

"Mate separation. They can't speak without eachother. It makes sense. I've never known Belle to be so vocal until she found out about Jolene. From what you told me it's the same with Jolene. Through eachother they found their voices, now that they don't have eachother their voice anymore."

"How long until it becomes permanent?" Momma rubs my back. That's when I realized that I was crying. As Jamie was saying why this happened I realized it was true. I was always quiet and reserved. I was only loud and acted like a pup around my parents or David and Sonya. Jolene changed all that for me. She taught me that I can be as free as I like to be. I can have my own person, I can have my own say in things that go on. Jolene made me feel like I was more than a part of my parent's big plan for the dynasty to continue.

"As long as Jolene is away from her. The longer she stays away the more severe her case will be." Aunt Jamie gives me a kiss on my head then sighs, "I suggest that you learn sign language."

"I do." I sign to her. She smiles then leaves with the empty pitcher. Momma and Mommy kiss the sides of my head.

"I know it's hard Belle. You and BB just need to stay positive. Jolene will be here. I'm sending the Imperials over there. They're taking Jolene and bringing her here, and her parents will be put under arrest."

"Be wary of the Martel family Momma. They might be in on this too."

"If they are they'll pay as dearly as August and Chandelle. Common baby girl." Momma pats my head then leaves with Mommy. Almost as soon as they leave Sonya and David come in. I can smell that David has mated with Hannah, but I don't smell Jackson on Sonya.