58

58

Last week was like hell to me. I'm not dumb to think he's not evading me. It's fvcking obvious that he didn't want me to be his side. That he didn't want to talk to me. That he didn't want me to take care of him.

"Ken, it's time to take your medicine. I'll just get it from—"

"Ako na, Charlyn."

This scenario was one of the days I am feeling useless and unwanted. Just like what I have said, he doesn't want me to mend him. He didn't let me.

"Hi, Ken. How do you feel? Is there progress?" Mika asked him while placing the basket full of fruits on his bedside table.

He gave her smile. "Maayos na. Sabi nung nurse na nag-aasikaso sa akin, uuwi na ako mamaya." He glanced the basket before turning back his gaze to her. "Salamat nga pala prutas, ulit."

I was just here, standing at the back of the door, watching them. I smiled bitterly. I couldn't help but to feel envious of Mika because she could get a lot of responses from him, unlike me. That's the reason why I concluded that he doesn't want to talk to me because his reply to me can be counted—short unlike others.

My sufferings didn't end there because Ken's treatment towards me continued at school.

"Charlyn, sinusundan mo ba ako?"

"Yes."

He shook his head. "'Wag na."

"Why? I just want to make sure no one will hurt you. I can't afford to see you unconscious because of the punch, kick and bruise, again. Threatening them isn't enough to stop them from hurting you."

He stared at me as his forehead creased like he remembered something. "Ikaw ba yung sinasabi nilang pomoprotekta sa akin kaya wala nang gumagalaw sa akin noon?"

I didn't answer. I just stared at him back, grabbing the chance to have eye contact with him because it's the first time since he woke up.

He looked away. "Nevermind," and started walking.

"Yes, I was protecting you silently and secretly. I threatened those bullies or people who tried to touch you. And to tell you the truth, I was the one who saved you when you got trapped in the arms of those three men the night they mistakenly thought you are Black Blood Soul. And I was the one who beat all of those guys when you slept three days straight in the hospital," I confessed, looking him straight in his eyes.

I was expecting him to thank me but I only received, "Okay," then continued to walk away.

I sighed and followed him. I know, I looked like a dog running after her master but I don't care. If this is the only way to ensure his safety, I will willingly do it.

"Kamusta na kayo ni Ken? You're already courting him?" Kim asked as we started sipping on our wine.

We are here at the ACBar, having bond together and to catch up.

"Oh my God! You are serious talaga sa courtship thingy? I thought you're just kidding. That's ewww!" Almyra looked at me with a disgusted face.

I gave her a sharp look. "What eww? Tsk!"

"Kase you know, we are girls and plus Goddess face pa. Dapat tayo yung nililigawan, especially you! Not you na ikaw ang gagawa nun. And heck! Bakit yun pa if ever you will do the job of men? He's not pogi naman!"

"None of your business. And for the record, Ken is handsome and good at academics."

"But there's a lot of men dreaming of having you. And Ken is not even close to your type and our type! And he's—"

"Kung hindi ka pa titigil d'yan, tatanggalin ko yang ngipen mo gamit ang kamao ko." I seriously threatened her. How dare she talked like that about Ken? Tsk!

"I told you to just shut your mouth. Look what you've received," Luna scolded him.

She just pouted and hid it by sipping on her wine to not see it.

"So back to the topic, what's the update? Any progress?" Kim brought the topic back.

"Wala."

"What do you mean wala?"

"He's avoiding me." I looked at them and looked away when pity was visible in their eyes. I unconsciously gulped the wine.

"Akala ko pa naman, magiging okay na ang lahat pagkagising niya. Pero mas masakit pa pala ang mangyayari," I paused as I felt the tears slowly forming at the corner of my eyes. I grabbed bottle of wine and opened it. I drank it, not minding to pour it on my glass. "Pvtang1na, mula nang nagising siya, ramdam ko na ayaw niya akong makasama, kausap at alagaan siya. My presence irritates him! Damn it!" I spoke up what I kept the past week. I can feel the effect of the wine right now.

They didn't speak so I continued, "How can I make it up to him when he's like that? He can't even give me a chance to prove my love to him. He makes me feel unwanted everytime I go near him. It kills me, do you know that? It hurts! I am always there, near him but it seems like we are so far from each other. What the fvck did I do this time to give me that treatment?! Why can't he just tell me if I did something wrong to him that made him hate me?! How can I—" I paused when I felt a lump in my throat and gulped, "How can I have him when chance has already taken away from me?"

I bowed my head to hide my tears and secretly wiped it away. But when I felt hands caressing my back, as if on cue, my tears flowed out of my eyes down to my cheeks.

"Shhhhh, everything will be alright."

I don't know what to do anymore. Everytime I try to have him, something blocks me. It feels like I don't deserve to have him.

'Ilang beses pa ba akong iiyak dahil sayo bago kita tuluyang maging akin, Ken? Kase napapagod na akong masaktan at umiyak sa parehong dahilan.'