(7): Life Without Bret

Frank, Steven, Hugo, and the coach, stood in shock, "Gather around the team. I have some unfortunate news."

"Bret died?" Hugo asked.

"Yes, but who will take his place? Someone must stand to take this role. Be our next leader." Coach cried out.

A few moments of silence occurred until someone spoke up, "I'll take his place. I won't be like him. I'll do the best I can."

Steven looked at the person who walked into the middle of the team's gathering, "Wait, are you sure you want to take his place, Francis?"

Francis looked at the coach, "I was Bret's backup. A second string. I refuse to let this opportunity go to waste."

"Francis, you shall be the replacement." Coach sighed, his breath shook.

"I'll become your leader. Let's make Bret proud! Wherever he is!" The boy raised his fist in triumph.

***

Frank was returning to his dorm, and his roommate, Andrew, walked out, "Leaving so soon?"

"I'm heading to work." Andrew frowned, "I don't hate my job. I hate the women I work with."

"Andy, I'm trying to get by. Look, things haven't been the same since your brother left. I get it. Getting through your problems open up opportunities in life."

"I need to regroup. I'll be in our dorm." Frank smiled, "Life gets tough, but we must be tougher."

"Daxton should be coming over in a little while. Thought I should let you know." Andy walked away, jogging to his job and running the on-campus laundromat.

"Bret left a legacy behind. What could he bestow on us? He was human like me. He was depressed and probably suicidal. It doesn't add up." Frank explained while staring at the corkboard Bret had gifted him on his 20th birthday, "Evidence will be crucial, but finding it will be a scarce task."

Frank didn't know where to start, but the last person that was rumored he had talked to was Loona, the cheerleader, "First suspect."

Frank picked up his phone and dialed Loona's number. It rang a few times before she answered, "Hey Frank, what's up?"

"I need to ask you a few questions about Bret," Frank said, trying to keep his voice steady.

"Sure. What do you need to know?" Loona replied.

"When was the last time you saw Bret?" Frank asked.

"I was sitting on the rooftop with him. Why?" Loona replied, "Am I your first suspect?"

"Yes, I need some answers from you." Frank sighed, "There are rumors somebody pushed him. I don't think Bret jumped."

"I didn't push him, Frank." Loona's voice sounded sincere.

"I didn't think you did, but I must ask." Frank paused, collecting his thoughts. "Did Bret say or do anything that would make you think he was unhappy or considering suicide?"

"No, not that I remember," Loona replied. "He seemed a bit off that night, but nothing alarming."

"Okay, thanks, Loona. I appreciate your help," Frank said, ending the call. He made notes to follow up with anyone else who might have interacted with Bret before his death.

Frank knew it wouldn't be easy, but he was determined to understand what had happened to Bret. He couldn't let his friend's death go unsolved, "I'm going to find your killer."

***

"Fuck." Loona whispered, "He must be catching onto me. He doesn't know, right?"

Loona got changed and went into the cafeteria after school, doing some homework, "Fucking English teacher."

People don't know she's a hellhound, a creature from hell. Her human form can trick the naked eye, and some people don't know what a hellhound is. People were too focused on Bret's death, which led to a strike for better security from some of the school's students. The school agreed immediately, showing the compassion and safety they had for one another.

Frank entered the cafeteria, scanning the area to find Loona and confront her. He walked around before finally finding her, "Loona! There you are."

"Oh. Hey Frank. How are you doing? Anything good happening lately?" Loona asked, bored from her homework, "I'm ready for your questions, in person at least."

Frank hesitated, "What do you know about Bret's death?"

Loona furrowed her eyebrows, "I don't know anything about Bret's death. What are you talking about?"

Frank sighed, "Don't act innocent. I saw you at his funeral. You must know something."

Loona didn't nod, "I was at Bret's funeral because he was my boyfriend. I don't know anything about his death. I wish I did because I want justice for him too."

Frank's expression softened, "I'm sorry. I don't know who to trust anymore. I'm trying to figure out what happened to Bret."

Loona lied, "I understand. But please don't accuse me of something I didn't do. I want to help you understand what happened to Bret, but I don't know anything."

Frank nodded, "I'll keep that in mind. Thanks, Loona."

Loona gave him a small smile, "No problem, Frank. Let me know if you need anything else."

Frank walked away, feeling a little defeated for jumping to conclusions. He realized he needed to be more careful with his accusations and not let his emotions cloud his judgment, "Damnit! I need to get myself under control. I don't want Bret's death to be ruled as a suicide! Someone killed him! I know it!"

***

Steven and Francis are talking at a coffee shop, taking the investigation to another level. Francis' dad is the chief of Coral Gables police, "Is everything alright, Steven? You looked burnt out."

"Likewise, Francis." Steven sipped his coffee, "We must find the killer before this whole thing is ruled a suicide. No weapons were used."

Francis sighed, "No cameras caught the killer?"

Steven sighed, "No... A camera caught Bret falling to his death. Is that a lead or sign?"

"Nothing from what I can tell," Francis growled after sipping his black and bitter coffee, "This whole thing is strange, but we must stay focused and solve it in our spare time."

As the pair walked away, they sensed something strange in the area, almost like they had a clue. The football stars had something in mind for the investigation. More questions than answers appeared. Was it a relationship gone dry? Or was it someone who wanted to kill him, and end his suffering at someone else's hand?

(Keep in mind: Y'all know how Bret died, but the characters struggle to figure it out themselves. You saw the death. They want to find his killer.)