27: San Diego's Last Stand

"Liam..." Bret moaned, "I... I lost you. Yuri died trying to kill Makarov. You died trying to kill Frank. Both deaths in a similar fashion."

The demons were now falling out of the sky from the baseballs. The baseballs were hitting the wings and breaking them. The baseballs eventually ran out, and the machines were deemed useless.

"Grab a gun and start shooting! Be accurate!" Dylan commanded.

Jaxon grabbed his rifle and began taking demons out, "First humans, now this? Fucking kill me!"

"Keep pushing!" Wyatt roared, "Soby wants a victory! I do, too!"

"Helix didn't happen!" Petey yelled, "Grossmont did!"

Everyone laughed and kept shooting the skies. Every demon kept falling, and Bret held his dead best friend.

Blake smiled, "Best field day ever! I'm glad to be here!"

Bret lay next to his dead friend, crying, hurting, bruised, and bloodstained. He dragged the limp and lifeless body into the away dugout. The tears of bravery and sacrifice began falling down the hellhound's cheeks. The tears of companionship and loyalty began to fall. Bret had known Liam since 8th grade during the Covid times and reunited at the start of his Sophomore year. Bret was seventeen at the time. Liam was sixteen after the reunion.

"In the next life. I will see you flying over me and waving. I refused to lose you, my closest friend, the godparent of my child. You saved my life to end yours. I'm not angry. I'm proud of you. Your parents are a different story. The fight must go on, and I wished to have you here. Thank you, Liam, for your service and dedication to this country." Bret cried in long stems of tears.

"RETREAT BACK TO HELL!" One demon yelled.

"NO!" Another stated, "TAKE THE HUMANS HEAD ON."

The practice jersey crew began to start firing at the demons. Who was flying in a formation and would eliminate everyone at all costs.

***

The man is now settled in at the Hazbin Hotel, enjoying himself and finally gaining peace. Charlie knew this was someone's father but couldn't link who Bret was. She went to Crymini for help. Concern washed over the Morningstar as her faith faded in her only hope of salvation.

"Hey, Crymini?" Charlie knocked on her door.

"Ugh, what, Charlie?" Crymini sighed, "What do you want?"

"I need your help." Charlie pleaded, "Please?"

"With what? Some shitty idea?" Crymini snorted.

"No! I need you to find someone. Your nose can help." Charlie sighed, "It's okay if you don't want to."

Charlie felt defeated and began walking away. Crymini was your average punk rock-era girl: the rebellious attitude, the punky look, and the outfit to match. Vaggie saw the defeat and knew something was wrong. She walked over to Charlie and hugged her tightly. The embrace proved effective as Charlie smiled and kissed her girlfriend's cheek.

"Miss Charlie! What is the issue?" Alastor smiled.

"The man who just came in is looking for his son. I have no clue where." Charlie sighed, "I asked Crymini for help, but she wouldn't budge."

Alastor's smile faded, "My apologies, Miss Charlie. It must be tough handling so much at once."

Charlie cried, "It's not fair... He wants us to find his son. All he gave us was a name!"

"Charlie." Vaggie kissed Charlie. The kiss was worth watching for some.

"We can figure this out together." Charlie smiled again, "I know it."