30: Unexpected Surprise (ENDING)

March rolled in quicker than Bret thought. He had now been doing two jobs to support his family alongside Loona. Bret took another job, working on the relations between people who lived in the hotel. The title 'Social Aspect Overseer Specialist' was Bret's workplace job in the Hazbin Hotel. He was only called upon when a grave issue or dilemma needed to be solved. The pay was reasonable, and he loved it despite his original quiet personality.

Loona stayed as the receptionist for Immediate Murder Professionals and took phone calls while caring for her children. Her perception of life changed, and she broke through her cynical walls of hate. They call children the miracle of life, and Loona was happy to have them. She had her days where she felt insecure about her body. But, she never let that bring her whole day to ruins.

Liam and Thomas' bond grew stronger by the day. Their relatively close age gap showed risk and comfort for the young parents they had. They knew nothing about the honest world and only knew of the seven rings. A conversation Bret will tell them one day alongside Grant's knowledge. The father-son duo vowed never to speak of San Diego and its rebuilding from the battle of the same name.

Grant cared for the boys on weekends as he never saw much R&R during the week. The loving grandfather, coach, and athlete he once was became a burning passion. He played wiffleball and football with the little ones. The grandfather never played rough and tackled them with playfulness and care. He wouldn't want to harm the offspring of his son. He kept his human form after a talk with Charlie and her parents. Lillith, who was Charlie's mother, found his form part of the world's working class hierarchy on Earth. A fascination and a few shots of strength, knowledge, and respect found a perfect spot for Grant to be Charlie's bodyguard during January.

The last day of March signaled Easter, a holiday Charlie celebrated for Thomas and Liam to enjoy. Bret was on the phone with Charlie.

Bret: Yeah. We'll be there. No doubt, Charlie. Thomas and Liam will love it! I know as their dad they'll have a great time!

Charlie: I want them to see us as Auntie Charlie and Aunt Vaggie. I know they don't hate us.

Bret: They call you Princess Charlie and Auntie Vaggie. It's adorable and respectable.

Charlie: (gasps) Awe.

Bret: I want them to give you respect as your role is relatively high. They're young, I know. I was taught respect is earned, not given.

Charlie: I'll see you guys when I get here.

Loona: (In the background) Ask Charlie for a pregnancy test! I need it!

Bret: Loona's asking for a pregnancy test. I'll listen and not ask questions.

Charlie: Alright. No questions asked.

The call ends, and Bret is dumbfounded. Loona's strange request left him thinking thoughts. He pushed them away and kissed Loona's cheek, "Everything okay?"

"I just want to double-check, is all," Loona growled. 

"Are you pregnant?" Bret asked suspiciously, "Are you?"

"I don't know if I am! That's why I asked Charlie and not you." Loona made her point clear but still made sure to kiss him and hug him.

"Are you ready to head over?" Bret smiled.

Loona nodded and got dressed. Her clothes were a little tighter than before. Her belly made her insecure, but Bret hugged her to hide the thoughts of self-harm. Bret's former shadow and scars showed his struggling journey from stardom to the unknown to the underworld.

"Don't think the thoughts I had six years ago." Bret kissed Loona's neck, "I don't want the mother of my children to make the same mistakes I did back in college."