26: Point Of No Return (2)

Liam woke up, a pain in his leg and back, "Ow. Damn, I hit the building harder than I thought. I can't say the reference to what infamous and historic event this refers to."

The injured pilot began to question what building he had crashed into. He knew his knee was broken at the moment. His back felt spasmed, and he couldn't control his leg. He lay in pain until a few people gathered around him. They asked him what had happened, and when he explained it, he couldn't speak.

Liam felt his throat and felt a gash where his Adam's apple was. The crash tore his vocal cords, and his knee was ripped apart.

"Oh god." Liam tried to speak, "The crash tore my voice, but I have some control. That's fine."

A man walked up to Liam, "Holy shit! Are you okay?!"

"Get me something to help me walk. I need to go!" Liam spoke, his voice weak-sounding and hurting.

The man nodded and listened to Liam's demands, hoping this wasn't a terrorist attack. Liam explained why the demons were flying around and causing this whole ordeal. The man gave him a broken support from the crash and walked Liam into a meeting room. The man was dressed formally in business casual clothes and a tie around his neck.

Liam began to cry, feeling like a failure to his family and friends, but mainly to Bret and Loona. He felt the crash was primarily his fault, which it was. He sighed and struggled to stand up and walk. He felt nothing but meat rip apart from the bone in his knee and fibula.

"Liam? Can you hear me?" Bret called from the radio, "I saw the crash. Why are you making 9/11 jokes when we are one of the biggest military towns?!"

"Bret, I can assure you, I crashed after hitting another fucking demon!" Liam winced, "The crash got my throat. So, ignore my damn whispers, got it?"

"I trust you to find a way here to Petco Park, you know... The Padres' home stadium," Bret said, compromising on a new objective for Liam.

"Are you sure? I have a nasty knee injury, and my jet is totaled!" Liam cried, "I lost my pride and joy!"

Bret sighed and looked at the dugouts before radioing back to the injured pilot, "I lost my dad, Liam. He was my pride and joy in my godforsaken life. I was dealt a shitty hand in life, but he got me out of some shady spots, harsh crossroads, and bloodstained nights. I want you to recognize not everything will go in your path. We speak from occurring."

Liam understood Bret was right. His past couldn't let him quit. He stood up with the aid of the office employee. He limped to the elevator and got in. He started praying, "Heavenly Father... I ask for your unlimited resources and strength in these desperate and dire times. We, the individuals, are dying from these escaped beasts, sinners, and demons. Let us pray and hope we discover what we are endeavoring to achieve. Amen."

***

Loona watched from the breakroom. The live-action of Frank's chaos and destruction. Her tears fell harder than ever before. She wasn't crying because of the presence. She was crying because of Bret's unwavering courage and bravery he prided himself on.

"Loona, it's okay. He's fighting that family killer. He won't die trying." Stolas comforted Loona.

"Thomas." Loona whispered, "Your daddy is fighting for a better cause, not out of revenge, but instincts, dedication, and loyalty to you and me. I wish he could've stayed here and watched his friends go after Frank. Hell, I would've gone along if it wasn't for you. I love you, Thomas. I love you and your daddy."

Octavia watched as Thomas began crying. Loona was the loving and dedicated mother she was. She prepared to breastfeed her child and nurture his hunger. Octavia looked away and gave the young mother her privacy. Stolas forced himself and Octavia to leave the breakroom and stay in the reception area. Loona smiled and watched as Thomas was non-stop hungry.