14: California Gurls (1)

Back in San Diego, California. Where Bret's friends, Daniel, Aidan, and Connor, lived. Doing whatever they could to survive. Aidan became a rebel, a gun in his pocket wherever he went. Daniel became a successful gamer, where he did lots of meme streams. Connor joined Daniel in the streams as a special guest from time to time.

Bret woke up one morning, and Loona lay on her back. Bret couldn't resist kissing her neck to wake up, "Mmm, baby, stop."

"Good morning," Bret whispered, "How did you sleep last night?"

"I slept well. I got to sleep on top of you." Loona whispered back, giggling in the process.

"With your back facing me. Which is fine." Bret chuckled, kissing the back of his girlfriend's neck.

"What should we do today?" Loona got up and stretched.

"I still have more people to tell." Bret sighed, "Daniel, Aidan, Connor... Liam... Oh god, not Liam."

"Your Air Force friend?" Loona asked, caressing her bump.

Bret nodded, "Yeah, Liam... as in Air Force Liam."

Loona nodded, "Hey... is everything okay?"

Bret broke down in tears, "There is so much going on! Yet, so little time, honey. There's too much going around too fast for me!"

Loona sat next to Bret, wrapping her arms around him for comfort. "I know it's overwhelming, love. Take a deep breath. We'll get through this together. Why don't you start by telling me what's been happening? We'll figure out a plan from there."

Bret wiped away his tears and took a deep breath. Trying to gather his thoughts, "I was eighteen when I left San Diego on scholarship to the University of Miami. My talent was recognized by my speed and my ability to be an offensive threat. I was pumped and shocked at the same time. Only to find out that college wasn't easy. Sure, I met you only a few months ago, but nothing could prepare me for death..."

Loona could only stare at Bret's painful expression, tears running down his face while realizing nothing could ever go as planned. Bret got up and decided to go out, "I'm buying a burner phone to text those guys. Need anything while I'm out?"

"Can you cook me something before you leave?" Loona pleaded, "That's all I ask."

"Like what? You trust my cooking?" Asked Bret with a shocked tone, "I don't know..."

"Please?" Loona begged, "It's simple, I promise."

"And the food is..?" Bret bobbled his hands.

Loona smiled, "Waffles with bacon."

"For whatever reason... I thought it would be something weird or outrageous." Bret stuttered, "But... Alright, if that's what you want."

Bret hesitated for a moment, still unsure about his cooking abilities, but seeing the pleading look on Loona's face, he finally relented. "Alright, I'll give it a shot. Waffles with bacon it is."

Loona's face lit up, excited as she watched Bret move toward the kitchen. Bret, although not the most confident cook, decided to put his best effort into making the requested meal. He rummaged through the pantry and found the ingredients needed: waffle mix, eggs, milk, bacon, and other essentials.

With Loona eagerly observing his every move, Bret began preparing the waffle batter. He measured the waffle mix, cracked a few eggs into a mixing bowl, and poured a little milk. He whisked the mixture together until it formed a smooth, thick batter. As the aroma of the batter started to fill the room, Bret felt a bit more confident.

While the waffle iron heated up, Bret had attention to the bacon. He placed a skillet on the stovetop, lined it with bacon strips, and let them sizzle on medium heat. The sound of the bacon crackling and the enticing smell intensified Loona's anticipation.