New Country . New City

Amsterdam's opulent atmosphere felt special at night. Though, it caught me off guard.

I stood under the bare sky for a moment. Loud tourists passed by, laughing. They chatted non-stop, which I only wanted to escape sooner.

I laid my suitcase horizontally and sat on it. Reaching for the cigarette from my tote, I lit it up.

The world seemed to spin, spin and spin. I looked up at the stars above. They shone so lustrously in the raven shadows of the sky. Blowing the puff in circles, I held my breath for a moment. Distant ambulance sound and the scent of fresh air seemed to hypnotise. I felt strangely untroubled. I was free but alone under the stars in a noisy city.

I'd noticed my driver when he stepped back and forth, a cup in his hand with a scribbled sign— 'ROCHELLE VION.'

As I walked along under the celestial clouds with my luggage, my eyes were stung by the lashing breeze. I began to feel colder and colder.

The driver finally glimpsed me. Rushing to help with my bags, he opened the back door of a splendid opaque car that shone like the stars of the sky.

Perhaps, there was something extraordinary about having a gig and arriving at ten in the evening to a city you'd barely known.

I stood near the door when my driver lifted the suitcase into the car's trunk. "My name is Alex, by the way. I'll be your driver for the whole time you stay here."

Smiling, I nodded. "Thanks, I'm Rochelle."

He chuckled, pulling the small bag after another. "If you have any questions, you can ask me," He paused. "And one more thing, I will need to accompany you if you choose to wander in the streets of Amsterdam."

I rolled my eyes at him. Hearing the heavy click of the closed trunk, I got in the car. The cabin was unlit. I could only grasp the glowing screen near the driver's seat.

Alex turned up classical music, which I (kind of) was grateful for. He had short hair, a thin nose and wide lips. I peeked out the window as we passed various stores and night bars. The street and the blaring buildings only brought me uneasiness. Why was it so bright? As if cursed, the starry landscape suddenly became warped.

I'd finally realised how terribly far I had come, how lifelessly fatigued I was and how I wanted to get away even from one of my biggest dreams. I wanted peace.

Alex cleared his throat. "I know it feels weird right now. You just came to a new country, a new city. I was in your place before, don't worry about it too much." He glanced at me from the mirror above.

* * *

My driver dropped me off in front of an overgrown building. Lamps of every size shone under every framed window. I picked up my carry-on and pushed the vast transparent door.

The interior felt special but also luxurious. Checkered floors and high ceilings adorned the area. If you stood facing forward, you saw a tall elevator leading upwards. On both sides of the centre, sofas fell scattered with little flowing vine chairs near them.

Once you glanced to the right, you saw a long line of reception desks. Extensive pillars served as a barrier and flawlessly created extra zones.

I pulled my luggage to the nearest front desk. "Hello." I gazed at a woman standing busy in front of her screen.

"Hello!" She grinned. "How may I help you?"

"I have a reservation under Rochelle Vion. It's my name." I clarified.

The blonde-haired lady took her time when checking my documents and giving me the key to my suite. She mentioned I could always return to the reception if I had any questions.

"Thank you for choosing our hotel. Enjoy your stay!" She voiced at the end.

I lightly smiled and headed back to the silver elevator.

When trying to find suite #505, I explored the higher floors of the extensive hotel. There were a lot of palms and sitting areas. The raven-swirled carpet covered every inch of the ground. I looked down at the reception, holding onto the railing, and felt unsteady. After all, it wasn't the best idea to gape from the twelfth floor.

Finally, I stopped in front of my entrance— Number #505 shone brightly on a transparent plate in the top right corner of the door.

I pressed the key against the lock. Gradually, an exquisite view flared in front of me.