The Show

The never-ending disgusting thoughts haunted me like the clothes hanging in the dark, which later morphed into shadow creatures. Screaming and tormenting me endlessly, they never reached the silence.

The words engraved themselves in my brain, tracing back and returning whenever they wanted.

Sometimes, I felt like I was losing in a war. A war that thundered itself through my heart, slowly snapping it apart- a war of love and peace.

I wanted to disappear, to flee the earth into another dimension of the universe, to walk freely with nothing but the chirping of the birds reflecting in my mind, which was impossible, as most of my lost fantasies. Though, it had been years. Why wouldn't it ever leave my soul?

All those times, we resisted acting differently in situations, holding back and regretting it later. Why, as humans, couldn't we reverse time and change ourselves? Or was life teaching us to suffer through it?

"It's the purpose of it, to make mistakes, to learn, and to move on, Chelle. The bad and the good are all a part of this cycle. To be human means to feel it all," expressed Kate, sipping her milkshake.

"It's easier said than done," I remarked, making her smile.

We'd finally met after months of separation. Kate had been modeling and getting more recognized by the fashion community. People started to look at her from a different angle and even began taking pictures with her once we were out.

I knew Kate loved the hustle and the stress of being busy since it took her mind off things and her life.

After her painful breakup, Kate found someone who, as she said, "met her needs much better than all of her previous lovers." Her name was Alexa. She was from a good Italian family, and she absolutely adored Kate.

"I think she might be the one," Kate smiled, making me notice a tiny glimpse of her new miniature necklace, which glimmered against her pale skin as it moved.

"I'm being serious here," Kate put her hands apart, moving them in the air. "We will get married, get a dog and a cat, and have a small garden in our backyard, which I will admire every day after returning home from work." Kate paused, staring at the table. "And on our honeymoon, I want to go somewhere special, like Thailand - to swim in the sea and kiss her under the sun."

I laughed, catching Kate's death stare instantly.

"Yeah, as if you wouldn't do that to the mysterious 'cat-looking man.'" She rolled her eyes.

"I don't know what's weirder- you saying that or drinking this." I pointed at her strawberry milkshake on the table.

Kate leaned back in shock. "How dare you say that!"

I stayed silent as she brought the cup to her lips.

"Chelle, by the way, I have a spare invitation to this Fashion Show, " Kate paused, "do you want to join me?"

***

The dark tinned van brought us to the entrance to the upcoming 'Paradis' collection.

The building was gracious, filled with ornaments and various plant decorations. Its smell of luxury and coziness overwhelmed my senses, being the only source of greenery that rose in front of my eyes as I approached the stairs carefully.

I wore a raven dress with scarlet tights underneath. The slight shimmer reflected in the building's windows, glimmering onto the street.

"Wait, Chelle!" Kate clumsily caught up behind me, blocking my way.

"Your hair clip fell," she brought her hands up, "let me fix it," Kate said, carefully pinning back my hair with her slim fingers, which sat behind the crocheted rose hand warmers.

She was so close to my face that I could see the tiny salmon-pink-colored glitter of her eyeshadow.

Kate's outfit was phenomenal- just like her braided hair. The rose and golden hairpins sparkled under the evening sun rays, which suddenly appeared on the road.

As Kate turned around, I glimpsed a swing of a large bow on the back of her snow-colored skirt.

Kate often expressed herself and showed her mood through clothing and fashion. Today, she felt like a tiny star in the night sky.

I appreciated the tiny details she added to her outfits; they enhanced and brought essence to something that, at first, was so simple.

Once we entered the place, antique molded furniture cluttered the surroundings, making them look almost ethereal. An enormous chandelier turned in the middle of the defile, brightening up the mosaical sage ceilings, which arched in circles. Engraved pillars supported the walls, their' moldings swirling slowly.

The balcony allowed a lot of sunlight and air, playfully swinging the spotless curtains.

I followed Kate into the crowd, lightly holding her hand. A faint sound of harp music accompanied us in the building as we walked through the hallway, trying to reach the chunky chairs- our seating area. A faint breeze carried the tint of lavender through the room, enriching the atmosphere of the defile.

"I can't wait to see the looks." Kate smiled as the lights dimmed down- the show had started.