Chapter 23- What Did He Just Say?

I turn around, speechless, and look at him. He's partially smiling at me, partially looking hurt. Like he's genuinely in love with me, and is hurt that I can't return it back. I finally find the air to pull together some words and close my car door, with a reassuring slam.

I walk towards him slowly with assurance, and start talking slowly. "you love me ... ? YOU love ME ..?" I gesture my hands with my words, as I'm slowly starting to shake and gain more intensity in my voice with my anger. He starts to talk but I cut him off. "Where were you when I was texting you, trying to get you back, or get a simple explanation. You were my childhood friend. I needed you. We went through so much together, and you just ghosted me. You left me ghosted, alone, having to suppress and tuck away my feelings for you. That took me a long time to get over, and I honestly don't think I'll ever truly be able to put it behind me for good. You broke me and I had to fix myself the best I knew how. So miss me with that stupid "I love you" act , it's getting old, and I don't want to hear it."

By this time, London is out of the car, watching me in awe. Ken is speechless, unable to even begin to find words to explain himself. The salesman is still standing there, mouth wide open as well. I'm about to ask him why he's still waiting there being nosy, but I decide that's too rude, and I just turn around and walk to my car, in silence, leaving Ken and the salesman standing there watching me. London doesn't even need to say anything, she gets in the car too and immediately gives me a high five as I close my door.

London finally says, as I'm pulling out of the parking lot, "You.. I..Sis, I can't even begin to find the words but you did your thing. You handled your business. You are NOT the one to mess with.". I look over at her, eyes open wide, feeling a great weight taken off of my shoulders to the point where I start crying. At first, I could handle it, but I start sobbing. I have to pull over. I pull over a few minutes later at a grocery store.

I put the car in park, and almost as if like I'm a machine, the second my car goes into park, the tears release again and I'm leaning over the steering wheel. London rubs my back as I'm sobbing until I'm finished. I finally lean back and I'm laughing and smiling as I'm drying the tears.

"Whew, I needed that." I say to lighten the mood. London starts laughing too and says "Girl, are you crazy? You just finished violently sobbing and this is funny?" Me and her are like that. We're goofy and silly, we can really just act a fool, and bust out laughing at anything.

I finally stop laughing and say "No because, it was a combination of sad and happy tears. I've always dreamed of the moment where I can finally let go of him, and feel GENUINELY like there's not an inch of him left in my body or mind. Well, right now I feel like it's finally that moment."

She smiles and says "I think it's that moment too." I collect myself, put the car into drive, and leave the parking lot. I take London home, and on my way home, I'm just listening to Today Was A Fairytale (Taylor's Version) and just feeling happy and proud of myself. I get a text from Ken but I don't have the time. I ignore it. A few minutes later, I start getting a flood of texts from him. I still ignore it, however feeling a little bit more anxious.

I finally pull up at a red light, and I keep getting texts, and I'm finally tired of it, so I pick up my quickly and open my contacts and find his name and click block and delete. My anxiety is gone now that he's completely gone, even from my phone.

I click open Spotify on my car, as I'm driving, needing something a little bit more upbeat. I click my "songs to blast in the car" playlist, which is filled with happy songs and decide on Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.

I start singing the lyrics loudly, smiling, just enjoying the beat and dancing. I come up to a stoplight. It was green, but turning yellow as I approached closer. I decided I was too close to stop and could make it, so I speed up to cross the intersection, and I'm still singing and happy until from my peripheral vision I see a car speeding from the other side of the intersection where the light is still a stale red.

I usually wouldn't get worried but this car wasn't gonna stop. I punch the accelerator, but my Malibu doesn't give me any feedback. Within seconds, I'm abruptly thrown against the side pillar of my car and everything's spinning. I don't know what direction I'm going, but I have a slight idea that I might be flipping.

Within seconds I've finally stopped flipping and moving. I think I'm upside down, but it might just be my persistent dizziness that I never got checked out at the doctor. As Teenage Dream is still playing (the irony of it all, I know), I look outside my window of my car, in so much pain, I can barely register anything.

I look down at myself and I see blood. Wow, that's a lot. I start slightly laughing at myself, clearly delirious, but I stop, due to the pain. I'm beaten up bad. The last thing I register from outside my car before I blackout is another damaged car. The one that hit me. A red Corolla.