Chapter 6- Comfort Is Just So Far Away

I sat in Social Studies still thinking about my situation when my phone and watch both start ringing. Siri says out loud "Maybe: Alex Richardson".

I'm still zoned out in space so I don't hear but Coach K comes and shakes me back to reality and tells me my phone was ringing. I reconnect to the world and blink a couple of times to try and get my mind back focused on class and then picked it up and answered blindly without looking at the caller ID.

I say "hello?" in my professional phone voice on my way to the door outside in the hall and hear a voice saying " Hope you enjoyed that beat down, there's plenty more from where that came from.

Don't forget about our small term. I'm kinda looking forward to beating you again, something about beating you is just so-" I hang up speechless standing frozen next to the door. I didn't take the time to realize either that my phone was on speaker.

I didn't realize everyone was staring at me too. Jaws dropped. Coach K heard about my accident earlier and asked to speak to me in the hallway. He says once we go outside " Did he beat you up earlier?" I obviously couldn't tell him cause then the other people and administrators would know I lied about my earlier incident so I stuck to my humble answer from earlier.

"*shakes head no*" Coach K then said: "So what was that all about?" I stare at him for a few seconds but as I start to answer out the corner of my eye I see him.

Alex. Standing. Right. There.

I want to tell Coach to turn around but Alex started mouthing something out and I immediately knew he was saying "say anything and your dead. Remember your friend as well." Coach K catches my gaze and starts to turn around but I immediately blurt out "FINE" and cover my mouth in shock of how loud I was.

He immediately swivels back towards me with a look of forgiveness but also a look that says "Boy you better watch that tone" . I start speaking finally: " That was my cousin. He and I made a......" I trail off and pretend like I'm afraid to say it but really I'm trying to find something to say. I finally think of an excuse: " *clears throat* he and I made a plan.

He wanted to prepare me for some random reason known as "self defense" and he called pretending to be a bully. Since this was a private thing I hung up." Coach K gives me this look like "boy your cousin must be crazy talking like that" (Yes I have learned what his expressions mean don't judge me cause when you in his class you need to know them looks cause he be making them all the time.)

He simply rubs his eyes and forehead tiredly like he doesn't even want to deal with comprehending all the story and says "Okay. Just Okay." I turn to walk back in the class when Coach K stops and pulls me back.

He whispers in my ear: "If you ever need some help with other things" *he put extra emphasis on other "you know how to contact me." I know he did not- DID HE JUST SUGGEST I CONTACT HIM FOR "OTHER" THINGS? Oh nahh this ain't gone work.

He smacks my butt while passing by and even had the audacity to turn around and wink at me when he walked in. I mean yes he's hot and honestly i'd love to try a few things with him , but my reputation would be SHATTERED if it ever got out that I slept with a teacher. I also noticed Alex had walked away after I made the story up about my cousin.