dreams. dreams.

July 1970.

Vanity walked into the kitchen and threw her bag on the counter. David was sitting at the table, poring over a stack of bills. He looked up when she came in, and his eyes widened in surprise.

"What's up with your face?" he asked, noticing the angry scowl on her face.

Vanity huffed and rolled her eyes. "I got caught smoking behind the science block," she said, grabbing a slice of bread from the loaf on the counter and sliding it into the toaster.

David shook his head in disappointment. "You know better than that," he said. "What did the school say?"

"They want to see you," Vanity said, buttering her toast. "Or they need to see a parent."

Harry, their other brother, who was sitting at the table, laughed. "Oh yeah? Who caught ya?" he asked, smirking.

Vanity sighed. "Mrs Wilkinson, the short fat one who's balding," she said, buttering her toast. "She's a total nightmare."

David felt a sense of frustration building inside him. "Well, we'll figure something out," he said, trying to keep his voice calm. "Don't worry about it."

Vanity gave him a skeptical look. "Yeah, right," she said, grabbing a biscuit from the tin.

David turned to Harry, feeling a sense of panic rising in his chest. "What are we going to do?" he asked.

Harry shrugged. "I don't know," he said, grabbing another slice of bread. "But I'm not going to that stupid school"

Vanity shrugged her shoulders. "Look, they need to see a parent at school," she said. "Or I'm gonna get expelled."

David felt a sense of panic rising in his chest. He knew he couldn't go to the school and pretend to be their parent. Their dad had left them years ago, and their mum had disappeared six months ago with some random man.

"Well, we haven't got that, have we?" he said, trying to keep his voice calm. "I'll figure something out. Don't worry about it." Vanity huffed before walking upstairs.

David knew he had to figure something out fast. He couldn't let Vanity get expelled. He just had to figure out how to get them out of this mess.

The next day

David took a deep breath and straightened his tie as he walked up the steps to the school. He had dressed himself as smartly as he could, but the best he could do was a tattered suit that had a few holes in it. He hoped it would be enough to convince the headteacher that he was a responsible adult.

He walked into the school office and was greeted by a stern-looking man in a suit. "Can I help you?" the man asked, looking David up and down.

David cleared his throat. "Yes, I'm here to talk to Mr. Consivile about my sister Vanity," he said, trying to keep his voice steady.

The man raised an eyebrow. "And who are you?" he asked.

"I'm her brother," David said, holding his head high. "I'm the only responsible adult in the house."

The man nodded and picked up the phone. "I'll see if Mr. Consivile is available," he said, dialing a number.

David waited nervously, feeling a sense of dread building in his chest. He had no idea what the headteacher was going to say, but he knew it couldn't be good.

Finally, the man put down the phone and gestured for David to follow him. "This way," he said, leading him down a long hallway.

David walked into the headteacher's office and was greeted by a tall, thin man with a receding hairline. "Mr. Consivile," David said, nodding his head.