Chapter 17

"I heard (L/N)-san from class two got really sick."

"Really? One of our teachers was talking and they said she's transferring after midterms are over."

"How scary, she looked pretty healthy to me."

"I think it was because she got bullied."

The many murmurs seemed endless. Ichigo sat through it all, not uttering a word.

Not one.

Rukia and the others sit at the side, listening to it all. Ichigo hadn't explained anything to them, just advised that they keep their distance for the time being.

"It's impolite to speak about someone when they aren't around, don't you think?" Ishida's glasses glinted when he made the statement, and the students panicked.

"W-We're sorry!"

Not a sound was heard after that. Ishida placed his bag down, looking over at Ichigo's troubled look.

"So are you just going to continue sitting here moping." Ishida asks. He doesn't get a response. For a while he thinks maybe Ichigo is ignoring him on purpose. But when the teen looks up he blinks.

"Oh, Ishida. Did you say something?"

"I've never seen him like this."

There were many times when Ichigo went down that road of blaming himself for circumstances. When Rukia was supposed to be executed, then there was the struggle with the bounts. Each time he'd put the toll of every battle on his shoulders.

But this was different.

"Did something happen to (Y/N)-san?" Orihime sounds worried.

"Don't worry she's okay." Ichigo assured.

"Then why haven't you gone to see her?" Rukia's question is one they're all wondering about.

Once again silence follows, and the teacher walks in, so they are unable to follow up.

One thing is for sure, there is a lot more going on that Ichigo lets on.

"I'm going to get to the bottom of this."

If he wouldn't tell her, then maybe you would. There was only one way to find out.

~~

Standing in the kitchen, you wash your hands after the meal, staring at the knife holder.

The knock at the door pulls your focus, and you drop the cloth in your hand.

"I'm coming, Oni-san."

You got used to him stopping by after work. It was expected. The door opens, and you already have your words rehearsed.

"Oni-san, you don't have to keep stopping by, I've already eaten."

"(Y/N)."

Rukia's voice startles you. She isn't in her school uniform either. Your eyes mark the sword at her waist. You dread increases.

"R-Rukia-san!"

You step back, eyes shaking.

"Y-You have to leave!!" You push the door close, but her body disappears, and you panic.

"Surely you don't think something as insignificant as a door will keep me out. " You turn, and she's now standing in your living room.

"Tell me everything, now."

Your lips quiver, and rather than face her, you take off in a sprint. Rukia is stunned when you just go pacing out the door.

"(Y-Y/N)-san!!"

You were running, and Rukia followed from the houses above.

"Why is she running?"

Nothing was making sense. Why were you suddenly acting like you were afraid of her?

Rukia landed ahead, right in front of your path, and you skidded to a stop.

You were both standing in a park. You looked left or right, trying to find some kind of escape. If you could get to a more populated area, maybe you could lose her in a crowd or something.

"Why are you acting like this? (Y/N)-san I'm worried about you."

"Stay away!!"

Rukia didn't move.

"(Y/N)!!"

There was another voice in the distance. The minute you saw the suit, you knew who it was.

Tarou huffed, stopping next to Rukia. She looked over weary.

"Why is she here?"

He didn't like this. Things were getting too messy.

"Get out of here reaper!!"

Tarou ordered. Rukia glared.

"Who are you to give me orders, human!"

Rukia drew her sword, pointing it at the male.

"Who are you, what is your relation to (Y/N)?"

You were just a few meters away, watching it unfold. Rukia and Tarou seemed to be in a bit of a face off. You reached behind your back, pulling something out. When the metal glinted in the light, now their focus had returned back to you. Tarou's eyes were wide at the sight of the knife in your hand.

"(Y/N)...."

You couldn't be...could you?