Chapter 18

Your hands shook terribly, and your gaze looked hollow. Not a tear dropped from your eyes. Something told him you'd long run out of those.

"I don't want to hurt anyone...and I don't want to hurt anymore. Everyone is fighting because of me.." You turned the blade towards your stomach, and Tarou felt the color drain from his face.

"You wouldn't..."

Rukia is in a similar state of fear.

"If I'm gone, then Rukia will be safe. Tarou will be happy. Ichigo will be okay.." Your words sound empty of any kind of emotion.

"How did I not see?"

All those visits when he could see the clear anguish on your face. It wasn't joy leaving, it was your will.

"This is the right thing to do. Goodbye, Tarou-ni."

You pulled the blade back towards your chest.

He reached out, but they weren't anywhere close enough to stop it.

"(Y/N)!!!!!"

His yell echoed, and they all saw the blood splatter on the ground. Time stopped, and so did his heart. Tarou blinked, staring at the black robes that now stood at your side.

Ichigo gripped the knife in his hand, stopping your trembling hands. You looked up, releasing the blade. It dropped to the floor, stained with his blood. Tarou and Rukia could just watch the exchange. Ichigo pulled you forward into his arms, and there was very little you could do.

"I-Ichigo.."

Your motion seemed to return, and he could feel you begin to fight against his hold.

"Let me go...let me go!!! ICHIGO LET ME GO!!"

"I won't."

He sounds sure.

You cry. It's all your body seems to be able to do lately.

They all stand there, watching you break down. You needed to let it out.

"I didn't protect her..."

The thought hits Tarou, and he drops to his knees, hands coming out pressing to the ground.

He failed, miserably.

~

"She's asleep."

Ichigo slid the door close, and they all sat around the round table. Kisuke opened his fan.

"I must say, I'm surprised Ichigo was the one to come to me about the issue. I knew there was something interesting going down, but I had no idea it was because of her."

Tarou hadn't spoken two words since they left the park. When Ichigo said there was a way to help, he'd accepted it. Because after what he witnessed, he was open to hear anything, no matter how ridiculous.

Ridiculous felt like the right word.

They were sitting in a candy shop talking to a man who was dressed in green and white stripes.

"I apologize for my rudeness but your attire is atrocious."

"Eh, how cruel!!"

"Why you gotta pick a fight with everyone you moron!!" Ichigo yelled.

"You just dragged me over here and you expect me to put my faith in a complete stranger who doesn't know how to dress himself!!"

"Who cares if his sense of fashion sucks!! I didn't ask for his help in picking out clothes!!"

"Please stop helping Ichigo, you're only making it worse." Rukia comments. Ichigo and Tarou both look away with a huff.

"Kisuke, tell us how to help her." Rukia states. Kisuke nods.

"It's actually quite simple, all you have to do is get her to divert her spiritual pressure elsewhere. That's all."

"Eh?"

"Oh, I guess I should explain more. See (Y/N)'s abilities mimic reiatsu from other beings and store it into her body. The reason it's so high is due to the fact that she's never tried to disperse the energy. In order for her own reiatsu to balance out, she just needs to transfer it to something else. " Kisuke lifts his fan.

"For instance, she could push it into this fan."

"That's crazy, it's not a living thing!" Tarou interjected.

"Precisely. Inanimate objects are recommended because unlike physical bodies, they don't have a closed circulatory system, so they won't break down when given too much pressure. It's true she can transfer it to living things as well, but she would only be able to draw out a little if she hopes to not injure that person. It's why Ichigo fell ill when she touched him."

"Are you..joking?"

He must have been.

"Are you saying that this whole time..I had it wrong. S-She almost died because of me.."

Tarou clenched his fist, looking down at his lap. Tarou felt a smack to the back of his head, and he fell forward comically. Rukia sweatdropped when he sprung up, glaring at Ichigo.

"Y-You insolent little boy, do you know I am your elder!!"

"Elder or not, you're still an idiot. " Ichigo just folded his hands.

"No one is to blame for what happened. You've been looking out for her all these years. You were doing what you thought was right, so quit sitting there feeling sorry for yourself. It's pathetic. "

He couldn't believe it, he was getting lectured by a teen, a delinquent nonetheless.

"Have I really hit rock bottom?" Tarou muttered.

"What's that supposed to mean!!!"

Rukia couldn't help but smile. It appears in the end they'd found a way to help everyone.

"Well since we have this all worked out, how about trying some of my candy, it's a new product." Kisuke held out the box and they all crossed their hands.

"Pass."

"So mean!!"