Chapter 22

"Would you stop knocking me out!!"

When he came too he was less than pleased.

"I'm sorry Ichigo."

It's not your fault he kept hitting you with surprise attacks.

All things considered, life has pretty much balanced out. You can breathe much easier. Ichigo also seems happy, despite his constant concussions. You're eagerly anticipating school the next day. When it finally rolls around, you're somewhat fidgeting with your bag.

It feels a bit weird walking with Ichigo after missing all those days of school. He's so close, and it's like a dream. Just recently you thought this would not even be a possibility. You push up your glasses, moving a bit closer to him. Ichigo looks down.

"Is something wrong?"

You shake your head, reaching out, you take his hand. A part of you just needs to reassure yourself that this is real.

"I'm really glad that I can touch you like this Ichigo."

He doesn't need an explanation.

"So am I."

"Mama! Look, they're flirting!"

"Don't point at them honey, leave the cute couple alone."

The woman waves at the both of you, and your cheeks flush. Ichigo is wearing a similar expression, and you both pull away.

The rest of the walk is done in silence, both too embarrassed to look at each.

Upon entry to the school, Orihime is standing there waving frantically.

"(Y/N)-san!!" She hugs you happily, and you flush.

"O-Ohaiyo Orihime-san." She pulls away with the biggest grin.

"I'm glad you didn't transfer."

"Eh? Who said I was transferring."

"Tch, a bunch of idiots started a rumor." Ichigo mutters.

That is to be expected. Class is about to start, so you bid them goodbye as you head to your designated classroom. As you turn to leave, Ichigo takes your wrist. You pause to look at him. He averts his gaze.

"You wanna have lunch on the roof?"

"Sure." You smile.

"Okay, see you later." He walks off his bag over his shoulder.

"That's weird."

You always had lunch on the roof with him and the others. It's a bit of a routine. You don't think too much of it. You just focus on getting through class. When you walk into class, a few eyes land on you. It's a bit unsettling. You're positive some new rumors are going to stem from this. It's like they had nothing better to do. Pushing up your glasses, you take a seat. Keeping your eyes fully planted on the board.

~Lunch~

"Would you like to try some (Y/N)-san?"

Orihime's bowl of food is bubbling, and you sweatdropped.

"M-Maybe next time, I brought some lunch this time." She nods, digging into her own.

"I'd never understand how she's able to ingest that stuff."

Her food really was an acquired taste. Separating your chopsticks, you're about to dig into your own meal, but you feel a pair of eyes on you. Ichigo looks a bit out of it as he stares at you.

"Umm, d-do you want some Ichigo?"

He blinks.

"Ah, no I'm fine."

"Quit staring at her then." Rukia says, sipping on her juice box.

"I WASN'T!!"

He goes back to eating his lunch aggressively and the rest of them laugh.

Not much happens as the day goes on. When school lets out, you wait at the entrance for everyone else. The first thing you spot is that head of orange hair. They're all in high spirits, and you give a wave.

"Were you waiting long?" Ishida asks.

You shook your head.

"Nope."

The both of you adjust your glasses on your nose, and you can see a bead of sweat run down Ichigo's head.

"It's creepy the way you both do that in unison."

"Don't be jealous, Ichigo." You both say as your glasses glint.

"Stop doing that!!!"

Tatsuki and Orihime laugh, and Rukia is wearing a smile.