Chapter 16

Vanessa

Today is the day, my wedding day that is. The last few days I pretended like nothing changed on the outside to the people I work with but on the inside, I was freaking out. I spent the day time getting as little sleep as I could because I was being distracted by a very hot lawyer, let me rephrase my fiancé.

Sitting in Juliet's room on the second floor of Gino's house I notice the little things in her room that makes me like her even more. She has a very minimalist style, but loves reading, she has large floor to ceiling bookcases filled with books. She is a huge fan of fantasy books; she also loves the color lavender and she loves the smell her whole room smells like it. She also misses her family; she has photos of them everywhere. I want to know why she has a job working here if her family looks so happy and well off in these photos.

I decided to do my own makeup and hair since I didn't want to trouble anyone with it. Putting on a smoky eye with a light pink lipstick, and put my hair into a half up half down style with soft curls. I found a white flowy maxi dress with long sleeves in my closet since there was no time to shop for a true wedding dress, but this fits me a lot more. Sitting in this room I feel surprisingly content with everything that is happening maybe it is the fact that I am still in shock of it all.

There is a light tap on the door and Aunt Lucy comes in. "You look gorgeous, sweetie."

I shyly reply. "Thanks." She sits on the bed behind the chair I am sitting in.

"Your parents would be so proud of you looking at everything you accomplished."

"Yeah maybe." I give her a soft smile. "My mother didn't want any of this and I just walked right into it."

"She may not have wanted this for you but she would want what was best and would keep you safe. I leave you to finish getting ready." I give her a soft smile.

I spent most of my childhood believing my dad was in business and he always travelled. But the older I got I realized he was running away from me; you see I look just like my mother with my red hair and green eyes. Maybe he loved her maybe he didn't but after he died, he never came around. I truly didn't know what he did and the mafia until I was 16 and we made the deal. Looking back now I realize there was more than just a job I was signing up for some much more. From being in the mafia to marrying someone I barely know, but I have fucked.

Pulling me from my thoughts was another soft knock on the door. Juliet walks in with her light green dress and her dark brown hair straightened and put in a half up have down hairstyle. Over the last few days, she has become pretty much the closest person to a friend I have, which to be honest is pathetic being that I'm 24 and haven't had really any friends. But she's awesome, funny, sweet, kind and she puts up with all of the things Gino asks her to help with. I've learned she is not just the housekeeper but she is Gino's assistant, she knows a lot about accounting and was supposed to go to school for it but that didn't happen.

"Hey, how are you doing in here?" I turn to look at her. "You look beautiful." She gives me a wide smile.

"Thanks." I respond.

"Your brother is itching to talk to you by the way but I kept him away so he doesn't freak you out."

"Why would he freak me out."

"He is being a bit overprotective, and basically told Mateo he'll kill him if he hurts you."

I roll my eyes. "Why did he do that, that's his best friend, I'm the sister he just met."