V: The Search Begins

*KNOCKKNOCKKNOCK*

"Coming!" Mrs. Midoriya replied to the trio of knocks on her apartment door, pausing her favorite program on the living room television and rising from the kitchen table. With a short tune humming in her throat the mother quickly shuffled towards her door before tipping up on her toes and peeking through the peephole, a happy gasp followed by the quick removal of the door latches. The door swung open to reveal her son standing right outside with a box of cake picked up from a nearby bakery as he smiled brightly at his mother. "Izukuuuuu! Welcome back home honey!"

"Hey Mom, it's good to see you again." The son greeted as he hugged his mother with his right arm due to the left being occupied by the cake. If he was constantly hating on himself for being short during his high school years well, he felt bad for his mother who he had to bend down for quite a bit just for her to loop her arms around his neck. Now he can understand how All Might felt with essentially everybody else. "Sorry for popping in without any notice."

"Oh it's no worries at all, not like I have anything important going on nowadays. Oh goodness you're so tall now, if you stood straight up you'd practically lift me off of my feet."

"Heh, yeah, people have been saying that recently. I never really noticed."

"Well come in come in now, it's a bit chilly out there a little too much for my tastes." The mother released her embrace on her son and gestured for him to come inside, the man following close behind her and shutting the door. At the entry of his former apartment Midoriya took a deep breath and smiled, feeling the nostalgia and the memories of staying in here for practically his entire life coming back to him. He remembers everything and anything that's ever happened in here as if it happened yesterday. The day he returned from the doctor's after his diagnosis, the day he returned from the sludge incident and All Might telling him he could be a hero too, the day All Might himself pleaded for the mother to allow him to stay in the dorms, and the day he left for the United States. It's all here, bundled up inside this cozy little apartment.

"Sorry for not having anything prepared when it comes to lunch Izuku, I thought you were coming over tomorrow instead of today. It won't take me long to make you something though so get cozy."

"It's alright Mom no need to worry, I mainly wanted to drop by because I wanted to check on something."

"What is it?"

"Are my yearbooks still in my room?" The son asked. "You didn't throw those out did you?"

"Oh of course not, I could never do something like that unless you asked me to." The mother answered as she reached inside the refrigerator. "They're still right where you left them on the dresser."

"Thanks, I'm gonna take a moment to look at those real quick and I'll be back out."

"Oh take your time, your food should be ready by the time you come back out."

The son set the box of cake down onto the kitchen table before he retreated for his old bedroom and entered, pausing just one step in at the amount of All Might merchandise that was left untouched after three years. Before, he's never really taken into account about how much All Might merchandise was too much as his fanboy side would constantly blind him from seeing the bigger picture of things. But being away for three years and coming back to a room looking like this? What was his younger self thinking? Getting past the freight train that was a room full of All Might faces Midoriya looked to his dresser to see three yearbooks stacked on top of each other and sitting on the edge, from bottom to top being his first second and third years. Bounding for the yearbooks he took them then made for his old desk at the rear of his room in the corner, taking a mechanical pencil from the All Might themed pencil cup holder and spreading the yearbooks over the desk.