Confessions

I woke up the next morning in Larissa's bed feeling the happiest I've been for a long time. The white curtains fluttered gently in the light breeze from the open window and the sun peeked through the gaps, painting stripes across the bed. I had a few flashbacks of the night before and smiled to myself.
I turned over expecting to see Larissa sleeping peacefully next to me but the bed was empty. I panicked for a moment thinking she had left me to go to work but then I remembered it was Sunday today. As I put my underwear back on I heard cupboard doors closing, plates clinking and someone humming a merry tune. I carried on listening and the humming got louder as it was followed by footsteps.
"Oh! Good morning!" Larissa was standing in the doorway in a thick white robe holding a wooden tray.
"I thought we could have breakfast in bed this morning," she said cheerfully. I smiled from ear to ear, it was the most wholesome thing to wake up to. 
"You're so adorable Larissa," I said. She giggled and brought the tray over to the bed. There were pastries, muesli, yoghurt, jams and two glasses of fresh orange juice.
"I could get used to this!" I said, my stomach suddenly rumbling.
"Well you'll need your strength back after last night" she said with a cheeky glint in her eye.
"You did wear me out quite a bit Ms. Weems" I joked. She giggled again and tucked into a croissant.

We chatted more as we ate. When we had finished she put the tray on the floor and snuggled up to me. I put my arm around her as she laid her head on my chest. I couldn't believe I was lying in bed with Ms. Weems! I thought back to the angst and confusion I felt as a teenager compared to the overwhelming happiness I felt now, all of my wishes had come true. I got a lump in my throat and a tear rolled down my cheek. She sensed the shift in my breathing and lifted her head up.
"What's wrong love?" she said, worried.
"I...I love you" I said through happy tears, "I think I always have".
"Aww my darling" and she pulled me in for a hug, I cried happy tears on her shoulder and gripped her tightly. It was like I'd had an epiphany and a huge weight had lifted from my shoulders that I didn't even know I was carrying. She held my face in her hands and wiped my tears away with her thumbs. Although she didn't say it back I could see deep affection in her eyes.
"I'm-" she started.
"It's OK, you don't have to say it back. I just wanted to tell you" I said and she gave me a soft kiss.
"Let's do something today" I insisted.
"O-OK, what did you have in mind?" she replied, a little confused by the swift change of subject.
"A walk? A coffee somewhere? Shopping? I'll have to call home first though for a quick shower and change of clothes".
"You can shower here if you want? Maybe I'll join you..."
Now that was an offer I couldn't refuse!

After a rather long, and fun, shower with Larissa I drove back to my flat to change my clothes. We'd arranged to meet at Evergreen Park at 2pm. The elevator was out of order so I had to run up several flights of stairs to reach my place. My feet were hurting in my heels so I took them off halfway up and carried on barefoot. When I finally got there Max was sitting outside my door.
"Max? A bit early for you isn't it?" I said, surprised to see him.
"There you are!" he said, jumping to his feet. He clocked my shoes and outfit and smirked.
"Walk of shame?"
I laughed, "Nope! No shame here!"
He let out a long overly dramatic gasp, "Weems?!"
"Maybe..." I teased smugly.
He laughed "No way! You dirty dog!"
Max was just as bad as Brianna for gossip and scandal. After playfully slapping his shoulder I unlocked the door and let him in.
"I can't stay long, I'm just changing my clothes then I'm off again" I shouted from the bedroom.
"No worries! I just wanted your advice on something...personal".
I popped my head around the doorframe, "ooo pray tell!"
"There's...a girl I like but I'm not sure how to...go about it" he explained. This was way out of character for him, he was always the charismatic cheeky one who could charm any girl, but now he seemed shy and insecure. I came out of the bedroom and approached him.
"Is it Daphne? Because if it is-" I was ready to lecture him.
"No! No! It's not her..." It certainly wasn't like him to get defensive, "it's...Cassie".
"Cassie?! Our Cassie?!" I said in shock.
"Yes" he sat on the couch with his head in his hands.
"Max, I had no idea" I said, sitting next to him.
"No one does, that's the thing. I've managed to hide it so well for years but I can't pretend anymore" he said.
I put my arm around him, "how long have you liked her?"
"Since school" he muttered. I was in shock but I felt sorry for him, I could relate to how he must be feeling.
"I thought I'd gotten over her. But ever since the reunion I haven't stopped thinking about her. Being there brought everything back to me and I realised, she's the one. Not Daphne or any of the other girls I've dated. Her. What the hell do I do?"
"Do you think she likes you?" I asked.
"I think I annoy her".
"Don't be stupid. She wouldn't still be friends with you now if you did".
"She's just so cute and smart and funny and kind. She's way out of my league" he sounded defeated.
"You should tell her how you feel. If she doesn't feel the same at least you can move on. If she does then ask her out and see where it goes. But she'll want to see this version of Max, not the horny show-off" I said.
He laughed, "You're right. If you can make a go of it with Weems then I can with Cassie!"
I gave him a big encouraging hug.
"Thank you Nomi. I knew if anyone would understand, it would be you".
I hugged him a little tighter.

Max seemed psyched up now so I offered to take him to Cassie's place on my way to the park. I went back to my bedroom and changed into a light jumper, jeans and a trench coat with some sunglasses. When I came back he was pacing up and down in the living room muttering to himself like a mad man, practising his speech for Cassie.

When we got to Cassie's house poor Max looked terrified.
"You've got this Max, just tell her what you told me" I said. I wished him luck and watched him walk up the path. He turned back to look at me and I gave him a thumbs up. When he knocked on the door I drove away, leaving them to it.

*

"I'm so sorry I'm late!" I said to Larissa as I jogged towards her at the main gate.
"I was getting worried dear! Is everything ok?" she said.
"Yeah, one of my friends was having a crisis so I helped him out".
She tilted her head and smiled, "my hero".
She held out her arm for me to link with and we set off on our Sunday afternoon jaunt in the park. The sun was bright but the air was chilly, obviously this didn't really bother me.
It was a great feeling to be spending time with her like this, it felt like we were an actual couple. However when she spotted someone she knew she hid her face to avoid making eye contact with them, I thought it was odd but I let it slide.
We walked a few laps of the park, chatting and admiring the views. She looked so cute in her headscarf with her cream coat and gloves. When she caught me yawning she bought us coffees to drink as we strolled around.
"Tired darling?"
"A little, but caffeine helps" I said, taking a warm sip.
She giggled, "last night was truly amazing".
"It was. I haven't stopped thinking about it all day" I admitted.
"Me neither," she said shyly.
"Can we do it again sometime? A second date I mean. I'll let you choose the place this time" I said.
"Of course, I thought you'd never ask!"
I suddenly felt my phone buzz in my pocket, I received a notification saying 'Max Oliver is now 'in a relationship' with Cassie Williams'