Not Like This

*At Firehouse 51: Inside of Kelly's Office*

"He put his name on the line for us, his career." Matt pointed out, referring to what Chief had done to stand up to McLeod.

"You got any ideas?" The Squad Lieutenant inquired, leaning back against his desk.

"Nothing we haven't already talked about a hundred times." Ana muttered from her spot on the bed.

"I'm not ready to quit." The blond shook his head.

"Me neither." The brunette agreed, though she seemed a little distracted by something.

Truth be told, the Captain kept feeling a wave of dread wash over her every time she looked at her best friend. It had started at the beginning of the shift and she had no idea what was causing it.

"No, I hear that." Kelly nodded, tossing a trinket into a nearby box. "We got one more shift."

The other man just let out a small sigh in response.

*In the Briefing Room: A Few Minutes Later*

The two Lieutenants and the Captain entered to see Mouch at the front, addressing the rest of the other firefighters.

". . .these are our new firehouse assignments starting next shift. Some of you will be floating until they can find a permanent home. Others, this is it." He adjusted his glasses and opened his mouth to read from the papers in his hands before hesitating. "You know what?" Mouch crumpled the page and tossed it aside. "One thing I learned during my campaign is that I should've fought till the end. I regret that I didn't put my foot on Sullivan's throat when I had the chance."

"Mouch is right." Matt agreed. "We still have 24 hours. What did they say at the academy? 'One shift can change someone's life?'"

"Let's change ours." Ana smirked, very much liking where her best friend was going with and this.

"We rally the troops. Reach out to everyone we know." Kelly nodded.

"And go after McLeod." The blond finished with a hard, determination gaze set across his features.

And, of course, the bell chose that particular moment to go off.

"Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25. Vehicle accident, 88 West Loomis Street."

*Time Skip Brought to You By the Rescue Happening the Same As It Does in the Episode*

"It's not a smoking gun, but it's something!" Mouch walked into the Common Room and held up a red file as he made his way over to where everyone else was gathered at the round table.

"What do you got?" Matt inquired.

"McLeod doesn't technically have to close another house, but she does receive a bonus of $200,000 if she gets the budget down 10%." He revealed and got several disbelieving, shocked, and angry looks in return. "She's doing this to make herself rich."

"Ah, I should've known. It's always about the money." Ana muttered, shaking her head in disappointment.

"I bet the Sun-Times would like to hear that." Otis smirked.

*A Little While Later*

"Hey, guys?" Leslie called, tentatively stepping into the room. "Question for the group. And for the record, you know, this is a safe room. Just honest opinions, and no one's gonna be judged-"

"Oh, just spit it out." Joe groaned while Otis let out a yawn to his right.

"What do you guys think about female firefighters?" The blonde inquired.