Out With a Bang

*At Firehouse 51: In the Common Room*

"I thought I'd put the Darryl stuff behind me, which wasn't easy, but why would he leave everything to me?" Leslie muttered, sifting through all the paperwork a lawyer had practically thrown at her not too long ago.

"Who knows?" Kelly shrugged from where he was seated next to her at the round table.

"I don't want any of it." She hissed. "It just feels like blood money, somehow."

Herrmann suddenly rolled over in his chair, intrigued.

"What kind of blood money we talking here?" He wondered in a low whisper.

"Get out of here." The Lieutenant shoved him back into his original place.

"Herrmann." Ana shot him a warning glare from her spot across from her husband.

"Hey, Clarke, what's this insignia mean?" Leslie inquired, handing the former marine one of the many pieces of paper currently in front of her.

"Darryl Bell was a Navy man." He replied, sliding it back a second later. "Boatswain mate, third class."

"I gotta deal with this?" The blonde shook her head.

Ana was about to offer her some reassurances but another voice joined the fray right before she could.

"Hey, uh, Mills." Joe called as he walked in. "There's some guy in the tower looking for you."

Herrmann and Otis rolled over to get a better view as Peter left the room. The Captain ignored their antics, rolling her eyes fondly as she returned her gaze to her book.

*At a Lumber Yard: Sometime After Shift*

"This yard's perfect. Great get." Matt nodded in thanks as Kelly walked out of a nearby shed. "Listen, I have a favor to ask."

"Sure." The Squad Lieutenant motioned for him to continue.

"Uh, the Chief asked me to fill out the accident report from my injury. The doc said I checked out, but that there might be some concussion-related memory issues for a while, since I got my bell rung pretty good. The thing is, I don't remember the two days leading up to the accident." The blond admitted.

"What?" Kelly laughed in disbelief. "Sounds like you got more than just your bell rung."

"It's fine, trust me." Matt assured, grabbing a bag off the back of his truck and placing it inside the shed. "But if I tell Boden, red flags go up, and suddenly everything becomes a big deal. I just need a hand with the report."

"You tell Dawson about all this?" The Squad Lieutenant inquired.

"Eh. I don't want her to worry." The blond shrugged.

"Sure, yeah, I'll- I'll help with the report. On one condition." Kelly let out a breath. "You tell Ana about all this the second she gets back from New York. You and I both know I hate keeping things from my wife especially when they involve her best friend."

"Fine, I'll tell her." Matt conceded with a small sigh.

"Great." The Squad Lieutenant smiled, lugging a container over to the shed.

A/N I apologize for the really short chapter. Writer's block slapped me in the face, hard, with this one. The next part will, hopefully, make up for it.

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed despite the length! Till Thursday.

~Princess <3