Chapter Three: Purple Lights

A N G E L A

"Has anyone seen my heels?!" I suddenly remembered Jasmine screaming from this morning

Even though it had been several hours since the day started, I could still hear the dread in her voice when she thought she left her heels in Miami last month.

The same dread that I was currently feeling since tonight was the night of the gala, and as soon as the clock turned 6, I'd have to rush to get ready. The gala started at 9:30 but since it would take us 2 hours to get to New Jersey, my parents wanted us to leave early.

My two dress choices were already laying at the foot of my bed with a pair of open toe heels beside them. They were both expensive gowns but the one I was leaning more towards made me feel adorned with royalty. I was also anticipating my makeup look since I had been indecisive about the color and style I wanted.

The loud sound of a notification coming through my laptop lured me out of my thoughts with rapid blinks. I clicked on the email notification and read what Julianna messaged me.

"Good afternoon Ms. Olson,

Those copies you wanted me to send have been emailed and I CC'ed you on the email. You should be receiving a reply back soon,"

I smiled and released a sigh before answering.

"Thank you Julianna, I hope you are having a wonderful weekend,"

The company will be closed on Monday in honor of the gala, but we knew that the extended weekend didn't mean anything. We knew that we were going to be a day behind, so we would have to work twice as hard to catch things up to speed. Did my parents care? Nope, not at all.

"There you are Angie, I was looking all over this place for you," Jasmine's voice bellowed from the empty hallway

My parents left for the evening to publicize the gala since they initially wanted to keep it hidden from the press. If everyone knew about tonight, it would've been harder for me to leave the building yesterday.

"Where else would I be Jas?" I asked, looking up from my laptop

She paused for a second, contemplating my question then huffed, stomping toward me. She plopped herself on the couch with a pout and crossed her arms.

I chuckled at her dramatic behavior and set my laptop aside to switch my attention to her. I was already finished with answering emails so I could finally eat something. My business mood kept me one track minded so sometimes I didn't eat until lunchtime or dinner.

"What is it?" I asked Jasmine who was still sitting and pouting like a child

Instantly, her facade broke and she chuckled before turning toward me with a small grin on her face.

"Nothing. I wanted to see what you were doing. Also, I know I asked the other night, but I truly want to know how you're doing. I don't want you to sugarcoat. I know how Mom and Dad can be," she spoke with a soft and caring tone

I appreciated her warm and compassionate tone towards me because it was different from the cold and overwhelming attitude my parents had towards me, but sometimes I wanted her to hide it.

Like I was forced to.

"I'm okay Jas. Trust me. I don't like what they did but there's no point in fighting it," My voice was soft and calm but the disappointment and betrayal that I felt didn't go unnoticed

Instead of replying, I felt the couch dip beside me as she scooted closer to me to wrap her arms around me in an attempt to make me feel better. Little did she know there was no point in trying to make me feel better for myself or the situation. Once my parents had their mind settled on something, they would do anything in their power to get it.