Chapter Eleven: Good Enough

A N G E L A

"I never knew your parents held this much money away from you," I exclaimed after taking another bite of my chocolate ice cream

I almost moaned at the taste, but I knew he would've made another comment about it like last time. It wasn't my fault that the food here was so good that it made me moan. If he remembered me so much he should've remembered that I loved tasting new foods.

Carter and I had finished our spaghetti and immediately ordered chocolate cake and ice cream as dessert to eat here and take with us. I've had a sweet tooth for the longest and when the waitress came back to grab our plates, I couldn't deny myself of it any longer.

"Neither did I," Carter replied with a slight chuckle and shake of his head

I smiled towards him and took another bite,"When did you find out?"

I pressed him then licked the ice cream that lingered around the corner of my mouth.

His eyes darted to my lips and the action made me slowly lick my lips again. It wasn't to tease him or dare him to do something, it was purely out of reaction. It was like my body familiarized itself around his presence again, and I couldn't help myself from feeding into him.

He cleared his throat then brought his hand to stroke over his chin, "When I first returned to New York,"

I simply nodded, taking the last bite of my ice cream and set the empty bowl aside.

Ask him what happened.

The words repeated themselves like a chant on repeat and I couldn't believe that I allowed him to get in my mind again. I wasn't supposed to be here having a good time with him. I was supposed to have him kneeling on the fucking floor beneath me and begging for my forgiveness. I wasn't supposed to give in to him so easily and here I was laughing at his stupid jokes and blushing at his dirty yet promising remarks.

He acted like we were already on the same page as before and I still knew nothing of what happened six years ago. It had to stop.

"Is everything alright, Angel?" Carter's concerned voice reeled me out of my thoughts

My eyes refocused on him in response and I picked around my cuticles to distract myself.

"No," I answered bluntly, setting my spoon down in the bowl

"Why not?" He questioned like he wasn't expecting my answer

I didn't see how he couldn't since we hadn't brought up the real reason behind this dinner and marriage yet, but I was going to find out. He dragged me down here tonight to tell me the truth but we've only talked about the food and sights in the neighborhood and how he found La'Duney's in the first place.

"Because I still have questions that you have the answers to. We've been here for over an hour and you haven't told me anything yet," I replied causing him to readjust himself in his seat and reach for his third glass of scotch

He brought the brown liquor to his lips and downed the rest of the liquid that filled the glass. It surprised me that he was drinking this much since I never knew him to drink in the past, but I didn't question it. A lot had changed in the last six years, that I knew, but I was afraid to learn how much.