Chapter Sixteen: Enchanted Moonlight

A N G E L A

I wiped my tears again as I pulled into the parking lot of the expensive restaurant and sighed as I saw the press surround the entrance with their cameras. I was hoping to have minimal press here since Carter was a private person, but I knew his business partners would've wanted the event to be publicized.

They had been working on opening this bar for the last year and I knew the process with difficult considering Carter's medical history.

I finally found a parking spot by the side entrance and hiccuped as I tried to pull myself together again. I tried to stop crying on the way here, but I couldn't. I hadn't seen my daughter in two weeks and it was hard to tell her why she could never come with me. Meredith reassured me that she could always explain the situation to her, but I wanted to do it. She was in this position because of me after all.

It had been hell living like this for the last five years, but I didn't regret any of it. A couple of months after Carter left New York, I found out that I was pregnant and I didn't know what to do. At first, I wanted to have an abortion because I didn't want anything to do with Carter anymore, but I couldn't give her up like how he did me.

As I entered my first trimester, I finally decided to keep the baby and since I had a petite frame, it was easy to hide my bump. It wasn't until I took over the company where my parents started to question my sluggish and attitudal behavior around the house, but I reassured them that it was from the stress I felt with being in the spotlight.

When I approached my second trimester, I searched and found an adopting agency and that was how I met Meredith. Out of all the agencies I was in contact with, she was the only one who made me feel heard and supported through everything that was happening around me. I told her about my lifestyle, my parents, and Carter, and she agreed to take custody of the baby when I gave birth.

But when the time came and I took one look at her little hands, I couldn't give her up anymore. Her soft cries were like music to my ears and when I finally held her, I knew I couldn't hate my little girl too. The more I looked at her, I realized that I loved everything about her.

She had his green eyes and freckles and my lips and small button nose. 

She was the perfect mix of Carter and I and I promised myself that I would do everything to protect her.

Even if that meant locking her away in a mansion, far away from me and my fucked up life.

I blinked another tear away and took a deep breath as I unbuckled my seatbelt and turned to open my door.

I approached the entrance doors of the restaurant and made eye contact with Carter immediately. His eyes lit up when he saw me but they softened directly after causing me to bite my lip in response. He excused himself politely then pushed himself through the crowd of cameras and people to find me.

"Hey Angel, are you okay? Have you been crying?" Carter whispered to me in a rushed tone as he grabbed my hand and led me into the restaurant

"Yeah I'm okay, an eyelash fell into my eye after Jasmine did my makeup and it won't come out. I've been rubbing at my eye for 30 minutes now," I answered with a soft laugh causing him to chuckle and kiss my cheek

He continued to lead me to an empty table in the center of the restaurant but before he could say anything further, a waiter approached us with two menus and a notepad.

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Evans, my name is Derrick, and I will be your waiter tonight. Can I start you off with some drinks?" Derrick asked politely

"Yes, may I have a glass of Moscato please?" I asked softly