Chapter Seven: Publicity Stunt

A N G E L A

After several hours of answering phone calls and arranging meetings, I finally finished the paperwork I had on my desk and clocked out for the day. I was the last person to leave the building since I wanted to answer all of the emails I received during the gala. I guess you could say I also stayed this late to take my mind off of things.

I didn't understand why my parents brought Carter back into my life but I knew I wouldn't stand for it. I had been "okay" on my own for the past six years so I didn't need him as my husband. I didn't need him at all to be completely honest.

I walked out of the company and locked the doors behind me before looking over my shoulder to signal my security. They got the hint rather quickly and moved from their post to escort me to Raymond's limo.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't have asked for two broadly men to surround me whenever I entered and left work, but to the public, I was a valuable asset to Olson Enterprises and the daughter of Richard Olson. I had to uphold the simple business woman role so nobody found out about my family's true practices.

The guard opened the door and I thanked him before settling myself in the seat. He kept his eyes trained forward and I smiled, appreciating the gesture since my team and security knew better than to try anything with me. When I wrapped the seatbelt around me and clicked it in place, the guard closed the door and walked back to his post by the front door.

"Hello Ms. Olson, I hope you had a nice day at work," Raymond spoke before starting the engine

I smirked with a light chuckle, "Oh it was the best Raymond. I kicked my father and soon to be husband out of the building, so I know I'll be getting an earful when I get home,"

"Oh dear," I heard him mumble as he began to drive down the street

Raymond was an older man and had worked with my father since I could remember. He knew how relentless my father could be and how he treated the people who disrespected him but he also knew how intentional and petty I could be when provoked, so I was sure he was weighing the damages in his head.

Before I knew it, we made the final turn to my parents' house and entered the driveway. Again, I felt mocked by the crystallized door ahead of me, but I also dreaded the next two to three hours because I knew that my mother would yell at me for how I spoke to Carter earlier.

I also knew that my mother would want to smack me because of how I spoke to my father and kicked him out. She was his right hand man. She'd been that way since they were younger and at first I wanted a love like theirs. I wanted someone who knew me like the back of their hand and someone who'd keep me partially sane, but now I didn't want anything to do with them or their love.

"We are here,"

Raymond's voice broke me out of my thoughts and I sighed realizing that I was home. I chewed on my bottom lip before taking a deep breath to prepare myself for the argument that was bound to come.

With slight annoyance, I opened the door and climbed out before Raymond could remind me that we were in the driveway again.

I walked up to the door but before I could grab my key from my purse, the door swung open and my mother stood there with a raging look on her face.

Here we go.

I looked over my shoulder to see Raymond flash a solemn smile before reversing out of the driveway and I rolled my eyes holding back a smile of my own. Of course he didn't want to be on my mother's bad side.