Chapter Six: Unexpected Surprise

A N G E L A

"Are we going to talk about what happened last night?"

I pondered over Jasmine's question before heaving a sigh and looking up at her. I was seated at my desk in my office and despite me demanding pure silence and alone time for the day, I found myself feeling relieved that she came in to talk to me.

I just didn't like that she came to talk to me about last night.

"What happened?" I asked, my tone purposefully innocent

"Angela, you left the gala early and ignored everyone for the rest of the night. Not to mention you stumbled to the bathroom and stayed for almost 30 minutes. I was worried about you,"

Her voice was laced with concern and confusion and I couldn't look at her anymore. Of course she had to be there when everything was crashing down. Normally, I was more controlled and composed in public since I wasn't allowed to let my emotions get the better of me.

But last night?

Last night was a series of events I didn't think would ever come true and I didn't prepare for it.

"Well?"

Jasmine's tone changed, now clipped and longing for an answer. One that I couldn't provide.

Wait, she was beside me when she heard I was going to marry Carter. Why was she acting clueless?

"You do know that my parents set me up to marry Carter right?" My voice sounded strange as I put emphases on his name but I kept my focus trained on her

Her eyebrows perched up and I sighed in annoyance. I hated talking about what he did because I hadn't completely healed from it so now hearing it aloud felt like ripping a bandaid off of a scar that hadn't healed into a scab yet.

"Carter is the ex who cheated on me then married some bitch a month after. I could've sworn I told you about this Jas,"

Her eyes widened as she moved the chair in front of my desk to sit in it. Her face screamed a mix of emotions all at once and I raised an eyebrow at her behavior. I knew for a fact that I told her about this when we were 18.

"No you didn't. You told me that some fuck boy broke your heart and cheated on you but you never gave me his name so I thought Carter was another one of your exes," She replied with a shrug

"Oh, no, that fuck boy was Carter," I confirmed and her eyes gave me another once over

"And now my parents are marrying me off to him and I haven't seen him since he left with that bitch. So you can see why I was pissed off at them and wanted to kill Carter," I added harshly

She raised a questioning eyebrow in response and sharpened her focus in on me, still inspecting me, "Hmm, I see, but maybe it wouldn't be bad to give him another chance,"

Scooting the chair back, I narrowed my eyes at her. She had too many suggestions for me for her to not be in my situation and I didn't know how many times I had to repeat myself to her.

"Jasmine, truthfully, I am past the part of giving him another chance and wanting to marry him. I do not want him in my sight nor my life. My parents could've found anyone and they chose him. It sickens me,"

"Maybe they didn't know?" She replied softly, but it was more like a question

"Oh, they knew. They were at the restaurant with me when I found out,"

Not wanting to press the issue, I rose from my chair and motioned her to follow me as I walked towards the door. I needed to run to the printer to grab the signed copies of the contracts my business partners emailed me yesterday.