Chapter Twenty Three: Cold Flame

A N G E L A

"Can we both agree to answer each other's questions?" I asked as we repositioned ourselves on the couch with our food

"What do you mean? I thought I was the only one answering questions?" He asked wth a raised eyebrow

"I have a feeling that this conversation will be bigger than us. I want to make sure we're prepared for it,"

He paused to consider my reasoning then grabbed his glass of scotch, "Okay,"

"What do you do for work?" I asked as I bit off the tail of my shrimp

We were still seated on the couch in the living room when our order arrived, so we decided to eat on the couch rather than at the table.

He sighed before leaning back into the couch, "I'm a wealthy businessman with cars, hotels, and bars,"

"Is that all?" I asked before grabbing my glass of white wine to take another sip

His blinked twice before he raised his glass to his lips, "Sometimes I donate to people,"

His response warmed my heart instantly, "Aww, that's sweet of you. What kind of organizations do you donate to?"

He glanced at me with a soft look in his eyes then rubbed his hands together, "Charity events and hospitals mostly, but you might see me donating to adoption centers as well,"

The second half of his sentence pierced something within me, but I tried to hide it, "Oh okay, I donate to those professions too,"

He simply nodded and grabbed his plate of Kingsland Pasta with a small grin on his face. I smiled at him as he took his first bite and chuckled softly when his smile grew into a full smirk.

"Shit, this is good," He mumbled as he took another forkfull of the pasta with a piece of shrimp

"I'm going to have to show you what real pasta tastes like one day," I announced as I took a bite of my seasoned rice and shrimp

"Oh? I didn't know you could cook," He playfully questioned with a raised eyebrow

"There are many things that you don't know about me Carter," I answered playfully and tilted my chin up at him

"Oh I'm sure of it," He whispered with furrowed eyebrows

"What?" I asked with an awkward smile

He hesitated before he placed his plate down on the table in front of us, "Nothing. What do you for work?"

"I'm the owner of Olson Enterprises, you know that," I replied softly and placed my table down on the table too

"Is that all?" He pressed and looked at me daringly

As if he knew something and wanted to see if I would tell the truth or lie.

Before I could respond, the sound of his phone ringing blared beside us, catching us both off guard completely.

I was glad that we were interrupted and that the tensed atmosphere settled before he could pressure me further, but the emotion was only temporary. When I slowly glanced down at his phone my eyes widened at the contact name.

Carlos Mendez

After noticing my reaction, he finally looked down at his phone and clenched his jaw tightly in response. He reached for his phone and stood up abruptly before shoving it in his back pocket as it continued to ring obnoxiously.

I kept myself planted to the couch and watched as he leaned against the wall and looked at me with a blank look in his eyes. Suddenly he moved his thumb to stroke his chin like he was deep in thought and the action made my lips part slightly.