Chapter 11: Maxine

(A week later, 2:30PM, Boston)

I look into the mirror, checking my outfit.

(Just imagine the shoes are black too!)

There's a knock at my bedroom door. "Maxine?" My grandmother says. "Yeah, Gramma?" I say. I open the door and she comes in, looking me up and down. "You look beautiful, Maxine." She says. I smile at her. "Where are you heading off to?" Gramma says. "Off to the skate park with my friends. Do you want anything from the shops on my way back?" I ask. Gramma gives me a small list of stuff. "No worries. I'll get them when I'm on my way back, okay?" I say. She nods. I leave the house, shouting goodbye over my shoulder. I pull out my new IPhone 12, texting my friends to see where they are.

(Texts between Angst 🖤)

Max🖤✌🏻: Where are you guys at?

Cameron🤟🏻🤟🏻: We're waiting for you at the park. Hurry up!

Ivy🖤🤍🖤: Yh Max!

(Out of texts)

I slide my phone into my pocket, chuckling. I drop my skateboard and start speeding down the road. I smile. I get to the park, seeing my friends sitting there, waiting for me. "What's up?" I say. They all stand up, taking turns to hug me. "What took you so long?" JoJo says.

I smile

I smile. "Nothing much. Gramma was just talking to me." I say. Cameron scoffs, rolling his eyes at me. Ivy smiles. "BABY!" We all turn around.

Ashlee runs towards me, knocking into me with such a force that I almost topple over

Ashlee runs towards me, knocking into me with such a force that I almost topple over. She wraps her arms around my neck, kissing me gently. "I missed you." She says. Ashlee had to go home for the week, but she snuck back over here without her dad knowing. "I missed you too, my beautiful princess." I say. She blushes. We all walk over to the ramps. "Why don't you sit there and be my supporter, Ash?" I say to her.  Ashlee nods, sitting down and crossing her legs. I skate down the ramps and drop ins, flying through the air. Ashlee cheers me on. I smile, feeling the cool May breeze on my face. The day goes by pretty quickly, though, and before I know it it's 10:45PM. I say goodbye to the group, pulling Ashlee with me. "You're coming with me, baby." I say. Ashlee giggles. We head off, me skating slowly so she can walk next to me. We stop off at the shop, buying all the stuff that Gramma asked me to buy. I also buy a pack of cigarettes. Ashlee looks at me. We leave the shop, walking hand in hand.

I plant the cigarette into my mouth, grabbing my lighter out of my pocket. I light the cigarette l, taking a puff. I offer it to Ashlee, who grabs it and takes a puff too. "Why do you smoke?" She asks me. I shrug. "I'm not sure. I guess I feel better when I do. Why'd you ask?" I say. Ashlee shrugs. "I don't know. Just curious. You've been doing it since we were like 12." She says. I nod. We get to Gramma's house and I open the door with my key, putting a finger to my lips to silence Ashlee. She heads upstairs to my room while I go into the lounge. Gramma is sitting there, cigarette in one hand. "You're late." She says. "I'm sorry Gramma. I lost track of time." I apologise. She nods. I hand her the stuff. "I know you have Ashlee upstairs, Max. I'm not mad." She says. My jaw drops as I stare at her in disbelief. "How do you know that?" I ask. Gramma chuckles. "You don't think you're dad bought boys in here when he was your age? And girls before he was gay?" She asks me. I nod. "Okay, well good night Gramma." I say. I give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I head upstairs, opening my door to see Ashlee sleeping soundly. I smile, shedding my clothes and climbing into bed next to her. She sighs, wrapping her arms around me. I close my eyes, drifting off peacefully.