Chapter 87: Cameron

(Wednesday, 7:30PM, LA)

Me, Jamie and Max walk into the house, heading into the kitchen. Daniel stands in the kitchen, looking at us. "Ai intarziat." He says. "Îmi pare rău. Am rămas blocați în trafic." Max says. Joey sits at the table, tears streaming down his face. "Maxine, you're going to come and live with me in Montana. You're going to be sent to a uniform school." Daniel says. Max scoffs. "Why?" She says. Daniel sighs. "Maxine, îmi pare rău. Îmi pare rău pentru felul în care ai fost tratat în această casă. Ar fi trebuit să mă descurc mai bine ca părinte." He tells her. Max laughs, but the laughter dies quickly in her throat. "Eu nu te cred. L-ai lăsat pe tata să mă lovească." She says. Daniel lets out a sob at that. "And I'm sorry for that, sweetheart. I really am." He says. "If it was up to me, Joey would be in jail for all the shit he's done." I say to Daniel. Daniel looks up at me. "Maybe so." He replies. Joey chokes. "That's not fair, Cameron." He says quietly. Max looks at him. "Shut up. You don't get to say what's fair and what's not. You've never cared for me at all. So I don't want or need you." Max says to him. Joey crumbles, his head hitting the table as he slumps onto it. "I'll go with you on one condition." Max says to Daniel. Daniel nods, smiling. "Pot să vin în LA în fiecare vineri și să fac pauză. Vreau să-mi văd prietenii; Sunt și ei familia mea." She says. Daniel nods again. "I'll get to packing, then." Max says. She runs upstairs, giggling.

(1 week later, 3:00AM...)

I sit up in bed, tears streaming down my face. I don't understand this feeling inside of me. It happens every time I'm with Jamie or I think about him. I don't know if I like the feeling or completely loathe it. I grab my phone and text him, asking him if we can Skype later today. He sends a thumbs up. I sigh, lying back down and trying to drift off. I toss and turn for another hour, before finally falling asleep.