Chapter 64: Riley

(1 month later, 8:45AM, LA)

"Riley, what's wrong?" Dad says, picking me up and letting me wrap my legs around his waist. "It's just that Maxine hasn't been back to school since after the wedding." I say to him. Dad sighs, putting me down. "So? She obviously doesn't want to be a part of this family." He says, tucking a loose hair behind his ear. Papa comes into the room comes into the room. "Hi, Papa." I say. Papa comes up and kisses the side of my head. "Hey, superstar. What are you and Daddy talking about?" I giggle. "Maxine." I say. Papa sighs. "What about her?" He asks me. I shake my head, grabbing my phone. "Don't worry about it. I'm gonna go upstairs and text Charlie." I say, heading out of the living room. I get upstairs and shut my door, calling Charlie.

"Hey baby." Charlie says, making my heart flutter. Charlie has been my boyfriend for about 2 weeks now. He asked me out in an English class and we've together ever since then. "Hi babe. You okay?" I say, running a hand through my hair. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just finishing up some work from Maths. What about you?" He says. I sigh lightly. "Just trying to figure out the whereabouts of Maxine." I say. Charlie sighs. "She still hasn't come home?" He asks me. "Nope. Papa is kinda worried about her." I say. Charlie sighs again. "Well, hopefully she decides to show her face at some point." Charlie says. "I don't know about that. Even though Papa is worried about her it's been nice with just us. The stunt that her girlfriend pulled at the wedding was ridiculous." I say. Charlie hums. "I suppose so. Anyways, I've got to go, baby. I'll speak to you soon." He says. We say our goodbyes and hang up. I plug my phone in and grab my laptop, logging in for the day.

(4:30PM)

The front door slams shut and I jump, scrambling to my feet. I rush downstairs to find Maxine standing there. "Fuck off, Ratty. I'm not here to see you." She says, pushing past me and heading upstairs. "Dad's been worried about you." I say. Maxine throws an adapter at me, striking the side of my head. I cry out, making Papa and Dad run out of the lounge.

"What the fuck is going on?!" Dad says. Maxine notices the wedding band on his finger. "Go fuck yourself, Xornoth." She says. Papa goes to grab her. Maxine pushes him. "MAXINE!" He shouts. Maxine flinches. "Why do you have to constantly hurt your sister?! Why can't you be happy for me?!" He cries. Maxine glares at me. "Because!" She shouts. "You wanna tell her how she came along?" She asks. Papa flinches. "What is she talking about?" I say. Papa looks at me, tears in his eyes. "You were an affair, you fucker. Your 'Papa' cheated on my father!!" Maxine screams at me. My eyes full with tears. I look at Papa, but he just turns away. "Dad?" I say. Dad looks at me. "It's true. I'm sorry, Riley." He says. I shake my head, tears trickling down my face. "I was a hookup baby?!" I shriek. Maxine grins manically. "Yep. You're were a fuckup. Just like your Dad." She says. I sink to the floor, crying softly. Papa looks at Maxine. "Why? What did I ever do to you, Maxine?" He chokes out. Maxine scoffs. "You became my father." She says, storming upstairs. Papa walks towards me. "Don't you dare come near me!" I shout. "Riley, please. I shouldn't have done that." He says. Dad grabs me. "Let me go!" I scream. Papa hugs me and I slump into him, burying my face in his chest. "I'm so sorry, Riley." Papa says.