Chapter 36: Leo

(Saturday, 4:30PM, LA)

I grab Riley, pulling her along and following Daniel. Daniel stops in front of Max and her group, balling his fists.

"What the fuck are you doing, Maxine?" He whispers. Max rolls her eyes, taking a puff of her cigarette. "What does it look like, Papa? I'm smoking a joint." She says. I chuckle, making her look at me. Ashlee looks up, glaring at me. "Want me to break an arm this time, Herrera?" She says. I shake my head cowardly. Ashlee kisses Max. Daniel looks at Ashlee. "Who are you?" He says. Ashlee laughs. "I'm Max's girlfriend. Surprised you're not that clued up since you're gay." She says. Max grins. Ivy looks at Joe and Cameron. All three of them get up, heading towards the drinks table. Max rubs Ashlee thigh, making Riley gag slightly. Max glares at her. "Homophobic too? Wow, Riley. Wait till I tell Jess, Soph and Chloe." She says. Riley's face turns white. Riley grabs my arm, pulling me away from them. "What?" I say. Riley chews her lip. "I can't go to school anymore. They'll b-beat me up all the time. T-the school will hate me if they think that I'm homophobic." She stutters. I hug her, trying to calm her down. "You're not homophobic, Riley. Two of our friends are gender fluid. Halsey is queer. I know you're not homophobic." I say to her. Riley nods, taking a deep breath.

We head back outside, sitting with Halsey and Zack. "Hey guys! You okay, Riley?" Halsey says, rubbing Riley's arm. Riley nods, smiling at her. Xornoth comes out. "Dinner is almost ready!" He shouts. Everyone cheers, smiling at each other. Colleen Ballinger comes up to us, grinning. "Hey guys! Joey says you guys watch my stuff! That's really cool of you!" She says. We grin at her. "Yeah, but Halsey is your biggest fan. She watches you all the time!" Zack says, making Halsey blush. "Babe!" Halsey says. Colleen laughs. "Don't worry, I think that's really awesome of you!" She says. Halsey smiles, running a hand through her hair. "Thanks." She says quietly.  "Who are those kids over there? Daniel's having a go at them." Colleen asks. Riley squeaks, running inside. "Riley!" I call after her. Colleen frowns. "Sorry. The kids over there are really mean." I say. Colleen nods. "Cameron, the one in the suit, that's Shane Dawson and Ryland Adams son." I say. Colleen's eyes light up. "I didn't know that Shane even had a kid." She breathes. "The one in the checkered dress is Max, which is Riley's sister. She's also Daniel and Joey's daughter. She's really naughty." Halsey says. Colleen nods. We continue to tell her about the others, telling her who their parents are as well.