Kabanata 20

Mrs. Esquivel and I meet every now and then for the opening of my boutique. I rented a private office in Makati for the mean time, and there I work regularly. The place is good for startups and small teams that benefit from an open working environment with just the right amount of privacy. So, I decided to take it for my team, who just flew here to the Philippines with my products to launch.

I need more employees for my Philippine branch, so Helen helped me choose the most suitable people, and we provided adequate training.

It was the most exhausting week for us since we came here. Kaya naman, nagyaya si Helen isang gabi na pumunta sa isang exclusive bar sa Taguig para magrelax.

"Oooh...it's been a long since we last partied, huh?" ngingisi ngising sambit niya sa gilid ko.

I scanned the smokey and loud atmosphere. The thumping music, the wild crowd, gossips and smoke, drunk chats and laughters, felt very familiar. Helen's right. It's been a long time.

"Hi, babe."

"Hey! What the fuck... you're so hot!"

"Damn man..."

Nakahalukipkip kami pareho ni Helen habang iginigiya ng server sa table namin at ito ang naririnig namin. Men are nearing us like some kind of celebrities, and I could feel Helen's annoyance beside me.

We started up with a glass of Martini. Nanuot agad sa lalamunan ko ang rumagasang alak. The familiar vodka tastes so good and it relieved my stress right away.

"Francine?"

Nabitin sa ere ang dapat pagsimsim ko nang marinig ko ang boses ng isang babae na dumaan. I lifted my gaze at her and met her eyes. Her hand flew to her mouth.

"I knew it! It's you, Francine!"

I stared at her. She's not very familiar with me. May kasama siyang dalawa pang babae na nakatingin at nakangiti din sa akin. I wanted to turn my head, but it was me they were staring at, so I assumed they were really talking to me.

But...why Francine?

Sinipa ng palihim ni Helen ang paa ko kaya unti-unti akong napabaling sa kanya. One look, and we knew. They have mistaken me for my twin sister.

"You're here! Kumusta?!" sabik na sabi ng babae.

I smiled fakely.

"Yes, I'm good! How are you, guys?"

Nagkatinginan sila at ngumisi.

"We're also good! Can we join you?!"

Nagkatinginan kami ni Helen. Ngumisi siya nang sarkastiko sa akin.

"Of course!" I smiled and signaled them to sit.

They joined our lounge, giggling.

"Nandito ka rin pala, Helen!" one of the girls said when she sat beside her.

"Nandito ka rin naman ah?" pabalang na sagot ni Helen

They laughed. Natawa rin ako nang kaonti bago sumimsim sa iniinom.

"I mean, why are you together? When did you become friends?"

Nagkatinginan ulit kami ni Helen bago siya sumagot.

"We're friends ever since."

"Oh, really? I thought..."

"What drinks do you want? I'll get you." I cut them off.

Napabaling silang tatlo sa akin.

"No, it's okay! We can have our drinks. Nakakahiya naman." The tall girl waved her hands.