𝐶𝐻𝐴𝑃𝑇𝐸𝑅 𝑋𝐿𝑉𝐼𝐼

~ All Little Birds Fly the Nest~

June 1472, Westminster Palace....

Jacquetta Woodville, the matriarch of the Woodville clan, was dead. Constance didn't know how, nor did she care, all she knew was she'd died at Grafton and it brought peace to her heart.

Peering over the edge of the intricately carved cradle in the royal nursery, she gazed at her two month old daughter, one hand gently rocking the crib back and forth as she slept. Swaddled in white cotton, her rosy face visible from beneath the little cap she wore, Isabella was the picture of health, a robust little thing who knew exactly what she wanted!

Her Mother chuckled at the thought of her little squeals when she wanted feeding (far louder than James, Marie or Edward had been) and the little hands that would clasp tightly to her breast while she suckled, keeping her just where she wanted to be! Constance adored her.

"Ma Mére?" She turned at the sound of her eldest daughter's voice to see her entering the nursery with her little brother. His hand in hers, he unsteadily toddled by her side, a sight that had their Mother's heart melting in her chest. Now he was walking, he no longer donned the gowns of babyhood but a little velvet tunic and hose underneath paired with tiny red leather shoes on his feet!

He was growing, she mused, the thought bittersweet.

"Come to me, my loves" She greeted warmly, bending down to the floor and opening her arms wide. While Marie would usually rush into them, she waited for Edward. She knew he couldn't yet run, only just having taken his first steps alone two weeks prior and she encouraged each movement as he slowly crossed the room, beaming at his Mother.

"Mama!" He cooed when she finally enveloped the two in her warm embrace "My Mama"
"Yes, sweet boy" She replied, kissing his golden curls "And how are my two dearest loves today?"
"We are well, ma Mére!" Marie replied happily "Are we not, Neddy?"

"Neddy well" Edward agreed, pointing proudly to himself and Constance smiled.
"We thought we could see Isabella?" Marie continued "Neddy is fascinated by her, he wonders how she can be so small!"

"Small baby!" Her brother confirmed, trying to grab onto the cradle's legs so he could climb them. When he found he could not, he frowned, bottom lip sticking out and turned to his Mother "Up!" He demanded, thrusting his arms at her "Up! Up!"

Laughing, she lifted him up easily, settling him on her hip while Marie looked over the edge of her sister's crib, a small smile curving her lips. Just as Constance had thought, she was absolutely delighted to have a little sister! Day and night (when she was not with her brother) she watched over the little girl, singing her songs or reading Latin to her!