Chapter 8

Chase Kennedy

Immediately after Liam and Celine left, I got to work. I barely knew Liam when we met, and I thought that I had learnt everything in the years that we'd gotten closer. I mean, we've been friends for so many years, I'd consider the man my brother. Family. But then again, everyone has skeletons in their closet, I just didn't think my best friend's would have a skeleton so shocking, or a skeleton at all.

After his message on the phone, I knew something was up. The person texting him had a name I wasn't familiar with, at all. Liam has a small group of friends, and I knew every single one of them.

Doing a quick little background check, I found everything I needed to know. The internet is a valuable vessel of hidden information. All you need are some skills, and you could find anything and everyone. Even someone's darkest secrets, they're darkest pasts, dirtiest lies. Nothing could stay hidden for long.

"Fucking hell." Palm grazing against my mouth.

I didn't know I needed to do background checks on my friends, but it seemed like I should make it a habit from now on. Because as it turns out, I barely know Liam at all. I always thought Liam to be the most innocent and sweet among the group. He always seemed to wear his heart on his sleeve. But clearly not, or I'd have known he has a twin brother.

Leo Reid.

________________•~~•_____________

Same dirty blonde hair, same eyes, every single fucking detail of their faces matched down to the small mole by the corner of their lips. Jesus Christ, they were like clones, but even more precise. It was fucking scary to say the least. No wonder Celine couldn't tell. I don't blame her. With Leo and Liam constantly switching, it'd be hard for anyone to tell.

"Shit." I quickly recall back to the message on the phone, and did a little more research. It was hard to find an entire person, much less their entire life, based on just their first name. Luckily for me, this particular person isn't very discreet, or smart. Every single aspect of her pathetic life was documented on social media, it was almost like she was giving herself away.

As I was scrolling through her social media, I heard footsteps behind me. Shutting the laptop, I turned around.

"Ella? What are you doing awake?" I opened my arms which she gladly ran into. She was prone to nightmares and would only go back to sleep if someone was with her. That used to be my mother's job, but seeing as she's on to boyfriend number 3, I've taken over. Not that I minded. Caressing the top of her head, I carried her to her room. She never did like me treating her like a baby, but I couldn't help it. In my eyes, she's the same little girl I used to hold like a fragile doll a decade ago. And that wouldn't ever change.

"Hey Chase?" She asked drowsily after I tucked her in.

"What's up?" I whispered, sitting beside her bed. I'd always wait until she fell back asleep.

"Can Celine come over again this weekend? She's the closest thing I have to a friend." That made my heart clench. I knew, being introverted, that Ella barely had any friends. What made it worse was that I couldn't do anything to help. And I hate feeling helpless.

"Sure." She made me promise, and I pinky swore I'd set something up.

It'd also be a good time to confront Liam, or Leo, whoever would be the one to come. It really wasn't my business, hence why I never uttered a word of my suspicion to Celine when she was here. But I needed to know what the fuck Liam is up to. Why he's sneaking around.

More importantly, I needed to know who the hell Jane Foster is. Besides a veterinarian at a local New York veterinary, a food blogger, and clearly an avid social media user, who the hell is she?

And why did she just post a picture of a fucking ultrasound scan?