Chapter 48

Celine Haufftner

Chase finally convinced me to move in with him since I was leaving in a few days. I figured, why not? I wouldn't get to spend time with him for a long time since we'd be in different continents. I'd better take advantage of every opportunity I had. Starting from right now.

I had spent some time with Ella this afternoon, knowing I'd also miss her when I returned to London. We had developed a very sisterly relationship, and I wanted her to know I still cared.

Right now, with approximately two days, 3 hours, four minutes left until I was scheduled to leave, I sat next to Chase on the couch. He told me he wasn't much of a romantic at the start, but I would beg to differ. He had surprised me with a beautiful candlelight dinner, which I knew took him a long time to set up judging by the incredible mess in the kitchen.

"I'm scared," I confessed, my head in his chest and his arms wrapped around my shoulders.

You're scared? My arms are the safest place to be in, and they'll always be open for you. He could never be more right, I really did feel more safe in his arms than I ever have anywhere else. The feeling was unmatched.

He looked down and I continued, "What if this long distance thing doesn't work out?"

He pulled my chin with a rough gentleness and reassured me that it would work.

"It will work, because we will make it work. Fuck an ocean, I don't care if an entire universe is separating us. It will work."

I leaned back and looked over at the window, the night sky illuminating the room. I didn't want to be reminded of the sunset I'd always view with Liam but I did. I didn't reminisce about Liam, but about the view. All this time I thought sunsets and sunrises were the most magnificent things when it came to gorgeous views.

But as I stared out at New Yorks night line, I realised, there are so many things in the world that rivaled in beauty. I just had to look for it.

"Chase?"

"Yes, trouble?"

"Promise me you won't break my heart," it came out softly, almost like a plea. I wasn't going to lie, my head had run through numerous scenarios of how I might end up hurt and heartbroken once again. I didn't want to, but somehow, my head always inevitably thought of the worst case possible. And I didn't like what I saw. The feeling I had with Chase was different than what I felt with Liam. He was like an addiction, and I feared I'd be in long term withdrawal if we didn't work out in the end. And there isn't rehab for broken hearts and addictions to beautiful blue eyed brunettes with looks that could kill, so I was practically doomed.

"I won't."

The softness in his deep blue eyes, his reassuring tone. That's when I knew, that's all I needed to hear.