Chapter 27

Celine Haufftner

Chase had been away for close to 20 minutes now, and I was getting sick and tired of staying in the stupid ward trapped on an uncomfortable bed. So, I did what Chase told me not to, and left the room. I just wanted to work my legs, make sure they were still working. They were.

Walking around, I got called over by one of the nurses to the front desk.

"Miss Haufftner? We need you to confirm some of your details." I looked through the papers and answered some questions on allergies until I noticed the visitor list.

Liam Reid. Written in my boyfriends handwriting was his name, next to the name of someone I didn't know.

Jane Foster.

I glanced quickly at the ward number before telling the nurse thank you and leaving with a smile. Though I was anything but happy. I was confused, shocked, and angry. What was Liam doing here with another woman? And while I was hurt too. He didn't even bother to pick up any of my calls and were in the same fucking building.

And there it went, another arrow pierced into my heart.

Fueled by my mix of emotions, I made my way up the hospital, stopping a nurse for directions on route. When I finally made it, I took a peak through the window and let out a gasp. Stumbling back, I tried to piece the puzzle together.

Before walking up I had come up with a few possibilities. An injured friend I wasn't aware of, maybe a relative like a cousin. But none of the options included a heavily pregnant woman who I was staring at right now.

Do I question him? Or do I pretend like nothing happened?

No, I thought, still in denial. Liam and I love each other. This could be a mistake. A wrong ward number, and unfortunately one that happened to belong to a pregnant lady. I shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Then again, I thought back to the man who looked like the spitting image of Liam this morning. Maybe it was Liam, and he had changed before coming to the hospital to visit. Which also meant that this woman wasn't a family member or just a friend. I was in denial, but I wasn't stupid. My thoughts raced, and I held onto the walk beside me as I started to feel faint.

Things weren't adding up, and I hated that. I hated having absolutely no control and knowing nothing. Before I could officially pass out for the second time today, I felt a pair of strong hands catch me by the waist.

"I told you to stay in your ward Celine." I looked up. Chase. His eyes were filled with concern while his face was stern, but his tone was soft. He looked behind me in the ward and I could have sworn his eyes widened slightly before he looked back at me.

"Here, let's get you back to bed." He supported me. I kept on looking back though, unable to believe what I had just seen.

I closed my eyes when I sat back on the bed and Chase handed me a glass of water.

"What the hell is wrong with you? What if you'd passed out in the hall?" He reprimanded. I appreciated his concern but I had much bigger problems on my plate. Like that fact that my boyfriend was visiting a pregnant woman while I was in an accident and I had seen a clone of him this morning before I got into said accident.

"Then I would have gotten medical attention. We're in a hospital you know?" I sipped on my water. Something told me that Chase had an idea of what was going on. They were best friends, and even if they were men, I'm sure they talked.

"That woman. I saw on the visitors list that Liam visited her." I let the words come out, calmer than I'd expected. I needed to say something to someone, the bottle of questions and feelings in my chest would burst.

"She's pregnant." I said when he didn't reply, looking up at him.

I waited for him to say something, anything at all, until someone barged in. The person who had the answers to all my questions.

At the door stood Liam. Pale faced and sweaty.