Chapter 9

Celine Haufftner

It's been a few days in New York, and Liam had brought me to almost all the places I've wanted to visit since I decided to visit Liam months back.

Times Square, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Brooklyn Bridge, Grand Central Terminal, and many other commonly visited tourist spots.

Between London and New York, New York was definitely more city like. Everything and everyone seemed so much more carefree. Don't get me wrong, London has a special place in my heart. But New York just hits different.

Although, after our lovely visit to Chase's home during the weekend, I noticed Liam had become more jumpy. More unlike himself. Yet I forced myself not to question it. Whatever it was, how bad could it be? Besides, it's shocking, but I'm very forgiving. I can forgive and forget anything short of cheating. Because if there are things I cannot stand, it's last season fashion, smoking, and cheating. Luckily for me, Liam didn't qualify for any of my three biggest no-nos, at least I hoped not.

"Hey," Liam entered the house. Speaking of the devil. He'd gone out to buy some ingredients for dinner, insisting that only fresh ingredients be used even though I'm perfectly fine with anything frozen. What can I say, he's a chef. A private one, but a chef nonetheless.

He pulled me in for a kiss and I savoured every bit of it. Walking over to the bags of groceries, I looked through the fresh poultry and vegetables. Chicken, bell peppers, some fruits. Simple, but enjoyable.

"So, I have something to tell you." I stopped the fork directed at my mouth, hand held mid air. No one ever starts good news with "I have something to tell you" in that uncertain tone.

"What?" I asked straightforwardly. He'd already made me go try and be friendly with Chase, what could be worse? At this point, I felt like I could handle anything.

Universe, do your worst.

"Remember Ella?" He asked, stabbing at a piece of chicken. How could I forget. Spending time with her was the only thing that made being in the same location as Chase bearable. But she's more than that now. She's like a friend, minus the occasional club outings and drinking.

"Mhm." I replied, waiting for the real news.

"Well, Chase asked if we'd want to go over there again this weekend." I looked up, not as annoyed as the first time he asked for a similar favour. But seeing Chase again so soon? Things like this needed a few weeks of mental preparation. He was a handful to deal with, and I don't have a therapist I can just call up in New York for an appointment.

"I guess." I'd just hang out with Ella while Chase was with Liam. Simple. But judging by the look on his face and the urge to continue speaking, it wouldn't be that simple. There was more.

"But you'd have to be with him alone for a while. Ive got work at a clients home before that so I can only come over afterwards." He explained hesitantly. Groaning, he assured me that I'd barely have to talk to him. Though that wasn't what I was worried about. I could avoid talking, I'd just ignore him. But Chase Kennedy definitely has a million and one tricks up his ass he could pull out any minute. And me alone? With him? God it would be a nightmare for me, but probably a dream come true for him.

"You have got to make it up to me for forcing me to spend time with Satans spawn," I said with my mouthful, fork pointing in his direction. Ariel might have seen it as a hair styling tool, but it my hands, it might as well be a deadly weapon.

"Figured you might say that." He stood up and brought me into the room, covering my eyes with his hands. Excited, I immediately opened my eyes when his hands moved.

"Oh my god!" I squealed. Liam had actually went shopping for me, which was rare. Maybe he's secretly an aspiring fashionista. Holding up the short, glittery dress, I hugged him. This was one of the very very few times where I could give two shits about the brand. It was a gift from Liam, so who cares?

"I guess this will do for a make up gift," I smiled, still admiring the dress. He laughed and pulled me in by the waist.

"Oh, that's not the gift babe."