Realizations

Shu woke on an empty bed. He frowned, turned to his side to see the room empty. Sunlight entered the room piercing the thin translucent curtains. He sat up, stretching his arms. He was still exhausted. His throat clogged, his eyelids heavy. He rubbed his arms sleepily, swinging his legs off the bed. The floor was cold. He stepped towards the low table holding the water pitcher and poured himself a cup. Cradling it in his palms, he walked over to the window and pushed away the curtain.

The garden was empty. Leaning against the window frame, he took small sips of water, running his mind through the incidents of the previous day. The comments of the legend which bothered him the most. Angel, scar, red eyes, white hair, all of those things on one person seemed too much of a coincidence.

After dressing in new clothes and brushing his hair, Shu went searching for Lui. He walked over to the front lawn to see it empty. They were leaving today, everyone must be making preparations. He walked along the forest path. A lone figure stood by the rabbits, her pale skin glowing under the semi-darkness of the woods. "Cordelia?" Shu asked, walking over.

The girl turned, her expression turning to a livid scowl upon seeing him. "Why are you here? To gloat about your loyal boyfriend?"

Shu wordlessly sat down beside her. "No." Shu reached out to one of the rabbits. The animal hopped willingly to his lap and nibbled on the leaf offered. "They're very tamed."

Cordelia kept her silence. Shu thought about her approach to them, just a fourteen year old girl, devoid of love, burdened with a kingdom to guide. She was wrong, there was no question. But who was there to teach her, no mother to guide her hand when she made mistakes. It was tragic in its own way. "If you're waiting for an apology, you're not getting anything," She stated. "I'm not sorry for what I did."

"You are," Shu answered, running a hand through his soft fur. "I might not be a witch with magical powers. But I know how to read a person, Cordelia. Your guilt speaks in every way you move."

Her frame stiffened, "You're so lucky."

"I am," Shu didn't deny it. Despite everything, he had good people around him. Parents who loved him. A man who would sacrifice himself for him.

"You stole him from me," She sniffed, wiping her tears. She curled to herself, studying the patterns on the grass. Shu didn't correct her, let her have her stubborn imagination prevail. He didn't want to hurt her more, she was hurting. Everybody in this forsaken continent was burdened with something. It was cursed. "You better protect him," She whispered. "Don't you dare make him sad."

Shu chuckled, "I'll keep that in mind. And I need you to promise me something too."

She looked at him, sceptically raising her brow.

"I want you to let Arvin in. Listen to him. You don't have to guide this whole kingdom on your own. Learn from your mistakes. Don't repeat them again," Shu smiled. "And always remember, human lives are not yours to control. Let them live, take what you're offered, don't force anyone to live their lives to your regiment. A good leader is someone who listens, not someone who controls. You're a brilliant girl. Listen when they speak, help when they ask. Be a leader, not a tyrant, alright?"

Cordelia hesitated, but nodded. "I'm a terrible queen though. I put all their lives in danger because I wanted something for myself."

He reached out and ruffled her hair, "Everyone makes mistakes. You're just naive. You need experience. And your friend Miya? She's a good adviser. And Arvin? Ben? Brilliant commanders. They know their way around a throne. Don't be shy to take advice. It's not beneath you to take advice from them. It's actually a sign of good leadership."