Shadows of Jealousy - Part I

The solitary light of the lantern lit the narrow path enfolded by thick thorny bushes. A hooded figure carried on through the trail, expertly avoiding the dangers of the ground, stepping through the bushes in familiar energy. The figure looked over their shoulder once in a while, cautious, arriving at a withdrawn cottage in the end of the path encased by enormous maple trees, the leaves shading the thatched roof and the wooden walls, wrecked, exposed to the nature around it. They knocked twice, whispering a string of words as the door opened a crack.

Two pools of black looked up at the figure, studying them in suspicion before nodding in acknowledgment. With one look over their shoulder the figure slipped in, closing the battered door behind them. The woman in the cottage had seen many years passing behind her. Once smooth skin wrinkled by experience and the fatigue of old age. Midnight black eyes were sunken wells in her face, a thin film of white already spreading through.

The hooded figure peeled off her satin hood, revealing pale eyes, the glittery moon colouring her pale skin in a ghostly white. "Adeline, I need your help."

The old woman trotted to the nearest chair, aged like her. The wood protested weakly as she sat, her heavy frame barely fitting the chair. "Queen Cordelia," Her raspy voice, heavy with the years behind her said. Each syllable placed carefully. "I'm surprised you remembered this old woman."

Cordelia dragged out the only other chair in the cabin, sitting uninvited. "Adeline. I do not have time for small talk. I need a potion."

Adeline kept her eyes fixated on the cotton pieces of cloth in front of her. Her fingers worked briskly to make small dolls out of the fabric.Thin, fragile little toys. Cordelia tapped her fingers on the wooden surface, grunting. "Adeline." Her voice held the authority of a child too young to be matured.

The woman raised her head, the scar running down her neck disappearing by the end of her high collared dress darkening the shadows in her skin. "I heard visitors came. Is this regarding them?"

"Yes," She asked, eager. It will only be a matter of minutes before the guards come searching for her, tearing the woodland apart. "I need a potion," Her eyes shifted to the set of vials neatly lined along the iron boards attached to the wall, rusted. "A love potion."

Adeline raised her brow, her eyes following Cordelia's to the multi-coloured vials. Nights of devious rituals were the cost for their strength. The Queen pulled out a purple bundle, the sound of coins rattling echoing through the empty hut as she dumped it on the table. "I will pay handsomely."

Adeline sighed, pulling herself up with some effort. She had questions, but it was not her place to ask them. She might've thought against it. She never agreed to forced love. But despite her pretty face, Adeline was aware of the capabilities of this child. Nor did she have any objection to the money. There was only half a loaf of bread and a little milk in the place. She was not in the state for manual labour and her dolls were selling less and less as the other vendors kept introducing new colourful playthings for the children. From the collection she picked a small container, a silver outlined vial with deep purple elixir inside. The colour seemed to swirl inside like a mist, almost as if the liquid was alive.

"This will do, your highness."

Cordelia smiled, gathering the vial carefully. She placed it somewhere in her hood, tipping the cover back over her head. "Thank you Adeline." She walked out of the door, stepping swiftly through the wood with only her lantern and the glitter of the moon to guide her path. Adeline watched her disappearing, small figure. The very same figure that used to be so happy and innocent. She shook her head, placing herself in the too stubby chair, going back to her dolls. Her worn lyre standing in the corner, the only alive thing amidst a series of deadened furniture, still humming with music where Adeline's aged fingers had played it.